Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD-ROM drive.

In article ,
GB wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't know about ebay, but checking the specs on the drive makers
web site will usually tell you.

FYI the dimensions of an Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Re-Writer, SATA, 24x
are listed as 146 x 170 x 41 mm - (WxDxH). I usually pay about a
tenner for those. They also rip audio very quickly - typically
doing a whole CD in under 3 mins.

Oops, missed the bit about being IDE...

I have a LG CD/RW model CGE 8527B from c. 2005 you can have if you
want. Its 170mm deep.

Not certain a R/W drive would work with the inbuilt software driver?
I've no idea how old the unit is.

IIUC RW drives look exactly the same from a SW point of view - the
command set for CD read is just a subset of those that also write. I
am happy to lob it your way to try it if you want?

Thanks John. I've got a couple of CD R/W drives I could try to make
sure the system works before putting you to the trouble. ;-)

In case it's any help, I'm happy to let you have a Lite-On CD-RW/DVD-ROM
that's also 170mm long. It was working when removed...

Thanks for the offer. I was basing my idea that only a CD-ROM would work
on my ancient Acorns, which had them as standard. To use a R-W - or a DVD
type involved new software.

But it's got a bit more curious. The original drive has an open/close
switch on it. Not used, as there is a separate button for this which
presumably does it via software. If I use this switch, it opens and closes
just fine.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW