Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
2987pl 2987pl is offline

Default Circles on water damaged monitor?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 04 May 2019 00:34:10 +0100, 2987pl wrote:

Bugger, thought the phucker might have hanged himself.

Commander Kinsey wrote

I'm interested as to how this happened:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elnf9fysu2...rcles.JPG?dl=0

Yeah, me too.

Perfectly formed circles, after the monitor got wet (ok, my cat
"scented"
it, which I assume is salty water) - why the circles? I can't believe
the
"water" physically spread that evenly.

Yeah, never seen water do that.

And I'm unaware of any connection in an LCD monitor activating a circle

True.

wouldn't I short out a horizontal band or something?

More likely its actually the backlight that's been affected. Not sure how
they are wired, but I still can't see how there could be anything
circular.

The circles are gradually expanding, and mostly perfect circles. I would
have expected anything peeling off or water oozing along and killing
pixels not to be perfectly circular like that.

Yeah, me too. Like I said, likely some quirky sort of chemical effect
between cat **** and the plastic film that's the outer layer of the screen.

Interesting that they both start at the bottom edge, likely that's how
the **** got behind the outer layer, at that edge. But the other one
on the youtube is a completely different effect. Also round tho.

Also havent seen any reports of people ending up with
a problem using a damp cloth to clean their screens so
likely there is something in cat **** that reacts chemically.

If they get too big, I'll send the monitor to you to take apart for
interest, if you pay the international shipping fee.

Pass.