Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 6:30:54 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On Fri, 3 May 2019 13:54:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

The old pot metal split ends for push-on style knob for the oven
timer/clock finally broke leaving the end of the 1/8" OD shaft.
As it is obsolete and no longer available and the oven/ragne itself is
also of a style no longer produced that do not want to give up, the need
is to be able to repair...
It's long enough stub that if could find a crimp-style butt connector,
think could manufacture a replacement split shaft or cut the end off a
sacrificial product and attach for the knob to push on to...
I'm not thinking of right search terms to be finding anything that meets
my idea...have some old telephone wire nicopress that are just a little
too small...
Or, other ideas also welcomed...

The metal post broke ? I've seen the old plastic knobs crack at
the insertion point .. from heat & age & cheapness. John T.

Yes...it's the style with a kerf down the middle of end of shaft leaving
the two semi-circular halves...one half had been broken off for quite
some time, finally the other gave way, too...

Of course, it's really cheap/weak metal shaft so it's not like it's all
that much torque to twist as there's very little cross-sectional area left.

The knob itself is just fine...

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it?
Then maybe drill a larger hole in the knob to receive it, together
with glue? You'd probably have to break it if you ever need to get it
off, but given the choices, I could live with that. I suppose if you
have numbered drills and can size it right, you could get it so that the
knob would press fit on tight enough, maybe with just a tiny bit of glue?