Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Gas meter ventilation

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 19:58:27 UTC+1, wrote:
I am getting a quote for new gas supply and the quote says

"You are to ensure that the meter position is naturally ventilated to the outside atmosphere to comply with BS6400. If upon commencement of the work adequate ventilation has not been installed for the meter then the work will be cancelled and will not be carried out until the required ventilation is provided."

They quote a 3/4" lateral steel pipe and 30 kW hourly load. It's a small flat.

Can anyone advise what I have to do for ventilation for the meter - I haven't got a meter supplier lined up yet. It's going under the (openable, no trickle vents) kitchen window. The former two airbricks have been repurposed as extractor fan and tumble dryer vents, and it would be very awkard (access tower and builder awkward) to have to fit another airbrick.

AFAICS the domestic gas meters don't require room ventilation. They surveyor they sent didn't say anything about it.

Also although it isn't mentioned in the quote I assume they will want a main bonding conductor provided for them (10mm for a 25mm TN-S supply)?

Owain

You have to have ventilation "to prevent an accumulation of gas" in the event of a leak.(and possible explosion)

Meters are no longer fitted indoors but in an outdoor ventilated enclosure for this reason.

Go and look at what neighbours in a similar situation to you have.