Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter ventilation

I am getting a quote for new gas supply and the quote says

"You are to ensure that the meter position is naturally ventilated to the outside atmosphere to comply with BS6400. If upon commencement of the work adequate ventilation has not been installed for the meter then the work will be cancelled and will not be carried out until the required ventilation is provided."

They quote a 3/4" lateral steel pipe and 30 kW hourly load. It's a small flat.

Can anyone advise what I have to do for ventilation for the meter - I haven't got a meter supplier lined up yet. It's going under the (openable, no trickle vents) kitchen window. The former two airbricks have been repurposed as extractor fan and tumble dryer vents, and it would be very awkard (access tower and builder awkward) to have to fit another airbrick.

AFAICS the domestic gas meters don't require room ventilation. They surveyor they sent didn't say anything about it.

Also although it isn't mentioned in the quote I assume they will want a main bonding conductor provided for them (10mm for a 25mm TN-S supply)?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 20:11:18 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
"You are to ensure that the meter position is naturally ventilated to the outside atmosphere to comply with BS6400.

All I can see within BS 6400 2:2018 regards ventilation are
a) if fitted in a meter housing, the housing requires 2% by area
ventilation if fitted above ground, or 6% by area if fitted below ground

which doesn't apply, as no meter box

and
b) as part of the risk assessment for the work, to "conform there is
adequate ventilation in the work area for the proposed activities"

I'll open the window during any soldering.

That corresponds with what I thought. Maybe it's a standard paragraph in all their quotes.

Thanks

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I've never heard such a thing. If everyone around here had to have
that, it would be daft. So when they fit dual fuel smart meters do they
refuse cos it in te same cupboard. I have no gas and when I did I'd smell a
rat if I could smell gas from a meter.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 20:30:13 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I've never heard such a thing. If everyone around here had to have
that, it would be daft.

I expect that in many cases what was allowed years ago (and continues to be accepted for meter replacement) is no longer allowed for new connections.

However Mr Burns has confirmed what I surmised, that it applies to meter boxes/housings, which I haven't got.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 20:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
I have no gas and when I did I'd smell a
rat if I could smell gas from a meter.

I reported a smell of gas from our meter. They were round amazingly
quickly...

The guy told me that they used goatskin bellows to measure the volume,
and over time they become impregnated with the smell of gas, and that
would be what it was.

_After_ he'd done a leak test!

Andy
--
(We've moved. New house doesn't have gas)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 May 2019 21:21:59 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
The guy told me that they used goatskin bellows to measure the volume,

Does that mean that vegans can't have gas heating?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 20:11:18 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
All I can see within BS 6400 2:2018 regards ventilation are ...

Scottish Gas Networks have replied to clarify:

The final say on ventilation would be confirmed by the gas supplier/shipper you appoint to fit the meter. Generally ventilation to the outside atmosphere is sufficient.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 19:58:27 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

You have to have ventilation "to prevent an accumulation of gas" in the event of a leak.(and possible explosion)

Meters are no longer fitted indoors but in an outdoor ventilated enclosure for this reason.

Go and look at what neighbours in a similar situation to you have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 May 2019 07:37:01 UTC+1, harry wrote:
Meters are no longer fitted indoors but in an outdoor ventilated enclosure
for this reason.
Go and look at what neighbours in a similar situation to you have.

They have indoor meters.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote on 02/05/2019 :
I reported a smell of gas from our meter. They were round amazingly
quickly...

Yes, they work to a maximum of one hour to respond to a notification of
a potential leak.

The guy told me that they used goatskin bellows to measure the volume, and
over time they become impregnated with the smell of gas, and that would be
what it was.

I suspect he was pulling your leg or acting the goat :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2019 09:17, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote on 02/05/2019 :
I reported a smell of gas from our meter. They were round amazingly
quickly...

Yes, they work to a maximum of one hour to respond to a notification of
a potential leak.

The guy told me that they used goatskin bellows to measure the volume,
and over time they become impregnated with the smell of gas, and that
would be what it was.

I suspect he was pulling your leg or acting the goat :-)

They certainly used to use leather bellows. I would expect that that has
long gone though.

Don't always trust them if they say there is no leak though. My parents
installed their own gas central heating and fires in 1972. The gas board
came and inspected it and tested for leaks (using compressed air IIRC)
and then connected it. In the '80s we could smell gas. We called them
round three times and they could find no leaks, but we could still smell
it. Eventully we found the leak with soap and water - it was from their
connection between the regulator and the meter!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote on 02/05/2019 :
I reported a smell of gas from our meter. They were round amazingly
quickly...

Yes, they work to a maximum of one hour to respond to a notification of
a potential leak.

The guy told me that they used goatskin bellows to measure the volume, and
over time they become impregnated with the smell of gas, and that would be
what it was.

I suspect he was pulling your leg or acting the goat :-)

Or just kidding.

I blame the nanny state.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 May 2019 08:17:54 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I suspect he was pulling your leg or acting the goat :-)

Or just kidding.

I blame the nanny state.

You are a lot of silly billies :-)

Anyway, I've got the 10mm earthybondthingmy done and biscuits ready for Friday.

Owain