Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Where to get washers for old taps

On Wed, 01 May 2019 11:31:33 GMT, lid (AnthonyL) wrote:

I'd wondered that but the rubber is quite hard so I can't imagine more
than a mm or two at most.

A trick for from old-car-restorers: rubber softens if soaked in fabric softener.
I tried this and it worked surprisingly well, though soaking takes days and
weeks. The rubber also smells "pleasantly fresh", for a very long time.

So maybe a scentless softener? Or some sort of silicone oil similar to the in
the softener, maybe? I think silicones are the active ingredient in this case --
does someone know?

Thomas Prufer