Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to get washers for old taps

1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

Been to two plumbing merchants, one very much old school, and nothing
near.

Both taps were dripping or have to be tightened such that they can't
be loosened by normal mortals and I guess that is because they
struggle after the house was converted from a hot water tank in the
loft to mains pressure on the combi. The cold taps are still from a
header tank.

I've temporarily got around the problem by:
a) Turning the basin washer around

So as per subject, I can't be the only person in the UK with these old
taps, where do I get suitable new washers?

b) Gently filing the bath washer flat

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have they swollen with over tightening?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 18:50, AnthonyL wrote:
1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pillar-Wash.../dp/B074NC1PRD

Amazon or ebay - the right one will be there somewhere

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 18:50:08 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

Been to two plumbing merchants, one very much old school, and nothing
near.

Both taps were dripping or have to be tightened such that they can't
be loosened by normal mortals and I guess that is because they
struggle after the house was converted from a hot water tank in the
loft to mains pressure on the combi. The cold taps are still from a
header tank.

I've temporarily got around the problem by:
a) Turning the basin washer around

So as per subject, I can't be the only person in the UK with these old
taps, where do I get suitable new washers?

b) Gently filing the bath washer flat

Just cut down bathtap washers. It's quicker than ordering online.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 19:21:03 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Have they swollen with over tightening?

I'd wondered that but the rubber is quite hard so I can't imagine more
than a mm or two at most.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 20:48:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 30/04/2019 18:50, AnthonyL wrote:
1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pillar-Wash.../dp/B074NC1PRD

Amazon or ebay - the right one will be there somewhere

All the ones I've seen have large middle holes, mine is about 1/4".

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

Been to two plumbing merchants, one very much old school, and nothing
near.

I got an assortment box from IIRC Screwfix. Should see me out. ;-)

But have you looked in the sheds? They might be more likely to have older
spares than a plumber's merchant. Or an old hardware shop, if you can find
one.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/04/2019 18:50, AnthonyL wrote:
1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pillar-Wash.../dp/B074NC1PRD

Amazon or ebay - the right one will be there somewhere

All the ones I've seen have large middle holes, mine is about 1/4".

keep lookimg
ther are kits with those in

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 May 2019 22:53:02 +0100
Dave W wrote:

You'll probably find that the seating that the washer screws down on
has grooves caused by years of grit in the water, so you might have to
grind them down, in such a way to get rid of the grooves without
widening the radial area of contact if possible.

If you find you're replacing tap washers more frequently then it's well
worth investing in a re-seating tool - a nice fresh face on the valve
seat makes taps work better and last longer between servicing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

Dave W wrote:

You'll probably find that the seating that the washer screws down on
has grooves caused by years of grit in the water, so you might have to
grind them down, in such a way to get rid of the grooves without
widening the radial area of contact if possible.

If you find you're replacing tap washers more frequently then it's well
worth investing in a re-seating tool - a nice fresh face on the valve
seat makes taps work better and last longer between servicing.

and use the chrome plated brass seats