Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Better electrical connection

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:10:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 2 May 2019 04:53:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit
klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor.

Nope, the downside with house wiring is that the wire
will survive short term overload well when not soldered
but you can get the solder softening in that situation.

If that splice gets above 600f you have
far worse problems than soft solder.

Not if it only does that for a short time.

They made a solid mechanical splice before it was soldered.

Irrelevant to what the OP may do.

It used to be the standard until they
came up with easier/faster methods.

You are simply unaware of the fact that electricians
carried solder pots and dipped every splice.

That was never as absolute as that,
particularly with the street cabling.

Maybe they just didn't have electricity in Australia
before WWII when this was a common practice.

Corse we did and it was never common practice with the street cabling.

That's bull**** too.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.

But they arent the 10 - 22 gauge wire being discussed.

Never looked inside a PC power supply I guess.

Guess again. That isnt wave soldered.