Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Better electrical connection

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 May 2019 06:29:05 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

https://www.mouser.com/new/TE-Connec...te-mate-n-lok/
Posted to alt.home.repair

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire" but soldering any kind of wire
is in decline. The crimped connections done with the proper tools
seems better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going on
is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 2:37:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Nobody said anything about "house wire" but soldering any kind of wire
is in decline. The crimped connections done with the proper tools

I'm trying to think of an application where I would solder #10 wire. Certainly I've never done it.

We did a generator install at work where the ground wires had to be thermit welded, that was interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 04:53:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor. It used to be the standard until they came up with
easier/faster methods.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:05:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2019 04:53:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor. It used to be the standard until they came up with
easier/faster methods.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.

Why do you waste your time arguing with the troll?
I must admit, I've made the same mistake, but if we all stopped
replying to his trolls, maybe he'd disappear like that other AH
Burpfart?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

It can't be as much of a downside as having you around, you self-opinionated
self-important senile asshole!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 04:53:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the senile asshole's usual troll****

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 May 2019 04:53:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor.

Nope, the downside with house wiring is that the wire
will survive short term overload well when not soldered
but you can get the solder softening in that situation.

That's bull**** too.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.

But they arent the 10 - 22 gauge wire being discussed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:05:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2019 04:53:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:10:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor.

Nope, the downside with house wiring is that the wire
will survive short term overload well when not soldered
but you can get the solder softening in that situation.

If that splice gets above 600f you have far worse problems than soft
solder. They made a solid mechanical splice before it was soldered.

It used to be the standard until they came up with
easier/faster methods.

You are simply unaware of the fact that electricians carried solder
pots and dipped every splice. Maybe they just didn't have electricity
in Australia before WWII when this was a common practice.

That's bull**** too.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.

But they arent the 10 - 22 gauge wire being discussed.

Never looked inside a PC power supply I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

[...]

OTOH your bull**** could penetrate Kevlar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A K posted for all of us...

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

I think we would like to see what you were actually trying to accomplish.

There are many types/brands of connectors, soldering is old fashioned
depending on application.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:12:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why do you waste your time arguing with the troll?
I must admit, I've made the same mistake, but if we all stopped
replying to his trolls, maybe he'd disappear like that other AH
Burpfart?

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

YOU certainly KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you
clinically insane 85-year-old troll!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:10:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor.

Nope, the downside with house wiring is that the wire
will survive short term overload well when not soldered
but you can get the solder softening in that situation.

Not really, senile asshole!

It used to be the standard until they came up with
easier/faster methods.

That's bull**** too.

That's what your senile old head keeps producing galore, every day!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:10:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:53:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

A K wrote

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit
klunky
attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Nobody said anything about "house wire"

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out
that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Mostly labor.

Nope, the downside with house wiring is that the wire
will survive short term overload well when not soldered
but you can get the solder softening in that situation.

If that splice gets above 600f you have
far worse problems than soft solder.

Not if it only does that for a short time.

They made a solid mechanical splice before it was soldered.

Irrelevant to what the OP may do.

It used to be the standard until they
came up with easier/faster methods.

You are simply unaware of the fact that electricians
carried solder pots and dipped every splice.

That was never as absolute as that,
particularly with the street cabling.

Maybe they just didn't have electricity in Australia
before WWII when this was a common practice.

Corse we did and it was never common practice with the street cabling.

That's bull**** too.

but soldering any kind of wire is in decline.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

The crimped connections done with the proper tools seems
better. The only place where you see a lot of soldering going
on is on board manufacture where they can "wave solder".

Not with WIRES.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.

But they arent the 10 - 22 gauge wire being discussed.

Never looked inside a PC power supply I guess.

Guess again. That isnt wave soldered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 08:03:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

OTOH your bull**** could penetrate Kevlar.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You certainly KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you
clinically insane senile cretin!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2019 08:02:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

If that splice gets above 600f you have
far worse problems than soft solder.

Not

LOL Senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:29:09 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

For what?
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
A K posted for all of us...

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

I think we would like to see what you were actually trying to accomplish.

There are many types/brands of connectors, soldering is old fashioned
depending on application.

--
Tekkie

I mostly solder electronic parts. Certainly necessary and not old fashioned..

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

https://www.mouser.com/new/TE-Connec...te-mate-n-lok/

Thanks.

Took a while weeding thru some posters with anger problems.

:-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 6:50:39 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:29:09 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

For what?

Indeed. That would be a very good question, before you can correctly
give an answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 8:12:02 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 6:50:39 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:29:09 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

For what?

Indeed. That would be a very good question, before you can correctly
give an answer.

I am going to make a guess at the answer.

I don't know any hobby where it is common to solder 10 - 22 wire. BUT! If it's a typo and he meant 18 - 22 wire, and specifically talks about blade type connectors, then he's probably just doing automotive. And he's right, the cheapo connectors available can be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 8:27:24 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 8:12:02 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 6:50:39 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:29:09 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

For what?

Indeed. That would be a very good question, before you can correctly
give an answer.

I am going to make a guess at the answer.

I don't know any hobby where it is common to solder 10 - 22 wire. BUT! If it's a typo and he meant 18 - 22 wire, and specifically talks about blade type connectors, then he's probably just doing automotive. And he's right, the cheapo connectors available can be a problem.

18-22 gauge wire is common in electronic projects. I am currently making a laser alarm. This is the laser part.

"https://www.dropbox.com/s/adb0tzuatponszl/20190503_103833.jpg?dl=0"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

https://www.mouser.com/new/TE-Connec...te-mate-n-lok/

Thanks.

Took a while weeding thru some posters with anger problems.

:-)

Andy

There are other competitive connector systems but it is usually best
to pick one and use it for most of your projects because you will end
up with a collection of common connectors and tools. Crimps really do
seem superior with these types of connections but you need a real
crimper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 11:56:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
up with a collection of common connectors and tools. Crimps really do
seem superior with these types of connections but you need a real
crimper.

When I was working on my daughter's old Volvo, I bought a really good crimper. That turned out to be one of the smarter things I've done. Yeah, you can kinda sorta get a crimp with various pliers or cheap crimpers, but the real tool makes a world of difference. It was expensive in dollars but priceless in lack of frustration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2019 03:56:18 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
A K posted for all of us...

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

I think we would like to see what you were actually trying to accomplish.

There are many types/brands of connectors, soldering is old fashioned
depending on application.

--
Tekkie

I mostly solder electronic parts. Certainly necessary and not old fashioned.

Andy

Soldering terminals to flexible cable is pretty much frowned upon
these days. Certainly not acceptable in avionics or instrumentation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
A K posted for all of us...

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy

I think we would like to see what you were actually trying to accomplish.

There are many types/brands of connectors, soldering is old fashioned
depending on application.

--
Tekkie

I mostly solder electronic parts. Certainly necessary and not old fashioned.

Andy

Soldering terminals to flexible cable is pretty much frowned upon
these days. Certainly not acceptable in avionics or instrumentation.

That is why they wave solder wires to boards. The wire is not in the
solder long enough to wick up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks,
Andy
https://www.mouser.com/new/TE-Connec...te-mate-n-lok/

Thanks.

Took a while weeding thru some posters with anger problems.

:-)

Andy

There are other competitive connector systems but it is usually best
to pick one and use it for most of your projects because you will end
up with a collection of common connectors and tools. Crimps really do
seem superior with these types of connections but you need a real
crimper.

I have a real crimper but the connectors do not compare to soldering.

Just today I had a wire pull out of a connection that used a blade connector.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 May 2019 06:27:20 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 8:12:02 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 6:50:39 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:29:09 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

For what?

Indeed. That would be a very good question, before you can correctly
give an answer.

I am going to make a guess at the answer.

I don't know any hobby where it is common to solder 10 - 22 wire. BUT! If it's a typo and he meant 18 - 22 wire, and specifically talks about blade type connectors, then he's probably just doing automotive. And he's right, the cheapo connectors available can be a problem.

a proper crimp connector, finished off with shrink tube works fine.
Thise cheap pre-insulated crimp connectoes are basically crap. You
need a "proper" crimping tool to do the job right with the
non-insulated crimps too. There are insulated crimp connectors that
work well with ptoper crimpers too - they have a shrink sleave on
them. Most also have a low temperature solder bead in them as well.

The Philips Sta-Dri system is very good if used as directed.
NTE is another supplier (available through Summit Racing)
NationalStandardPartsAssociates" Sealed Crimp" connectors are also
good. ANything with a butted seam barrel is "basically junk" - a
brazed seam connector is a quality connector that can be crimped to
solid or stranded wire.
If you just need butt connectors Tyco Gardner Bender makes "solder
grip" butt connectors and they are available from Home Despot in the
USA but not in Canada (what else in new?) They are,
however,APPARENTLY available at some Canadian Tire stores. They
install with a heat gun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Something was not right. You either did not have the right terminal
for the wire size or it was not properly crimped. (Tool or procedure).
Normally a properly made crimp will hold until the wire breaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A wire will not pull ot of a quality connector crimped with the proper
"real" crimper, They form a gas-tight crimp that virtually "welds" the
connector to the wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This usually happens when the terminal is rated for bigger wire than
you are using or you didn't get a good crimp.
IBM stopped soldering terminals in the early 60s. We did have
different crimpers for different manufacturer's terminals. They pretty
much settled in on AMP tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.

I do think I used thinner wire that the connector called for.

May have been 20 gauge wire in a 14-16 connector.

I use this type of crimper.

"https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boston-Industrial-Insulated-Wire-Terminals-and-Connectors-Assortment-with-3-in-1-Wire-Stripper-Cutter-and-Crimper-Tool-175-Piece-Set/469426815"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 May 2019 15:01:25 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I do think I used thinner wire that the connector called for.

May have been 20 gauge wire in a 14-16 connector.

That will do it. There is too much metal on the terminal to get
squeezed down tight on the smaller wire.