Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

On Wed, 1 May 2019 11:51:54 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 12:13:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 08:16:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a bowl feeder that we recieved from China that is single phase 480. The control unit has a black and white wire with a ground. It's not difficult to find 480 single phase on your transformer. In this case a header machine. If your transformer doesn't have a legible diagram, just find your single phase 480 by checking between the legs on the transformer. If it's fed by 480V 3ph you should be able to find it. I'm not an electrician, just an industrial maintenance guy, but I've had to do this many times as China doesn't wire their machines like American or European manufacturers.

On a 480/277 transformer you will be using 2 "hots". Typically they
will be the Brown, Orange and Yellow legs.
Gray will be the neutral.
The 277 circuits will be Violet and Gray by the normal convention
although it is not in the code.

I don't know what a bowl feeder is but if it has a motor, and you connect to 3P power, it will run backwards. You need to unhook it and reverse the legs. All my time in a factory I never saw that not happen.

It was so common in the computer biz newer machines had a reversing
plug in the primary power tub that swapped 2 legs. If this is a single
phase motor it doesn't really make any difference tho. You are only
using 2 of the 3 phases.