Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years -saving over $400

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 11:07:48 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/1/2019 2:38 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:

Worse, most of the people responding, except maybe you, me, and Clare, have
_never_ in their entire lives mounted a tire at home using the ****ty
equipment that we're discussing here - where maybe even you and Clare have
never done that.

Remembering that I'm allergic to bull****, all those people making up those
outlandish excuses for why they can't do it are just like my grandkids
making up outlandish excuses for why they didn't do their homework.

The honest answer is that they don't like changing tires at home.
o All the rest is pure bull****, IMHO, if they've never done it.

No BS from me. I think for most people it is silly to DIY when the
payback is measured in decades. I have no interest in doing it.

I'm not sure if you have an air of superiority or are just arrogant.
Its the way you come across though.

I'd add that I have mounted tires, many decades ago, in an auto garage.
We used a real tire mounting machine, bolted to the floor, that used
compressed air and a piston to break the bead. And a tool worked
around by hand to get the bead off the tire, and a device to help
squeeze tires that would not inflate after they were mounted. With
that setup, it wasn't bad. But I would not want to be doing it with
primitive tools from HF, not when I can get one mounted and balanced
for $15. Compare that to doing a brake job, where you typically don't
need special eqpt or eqpt that gets bolted to the floor. Brake job
at the stealership or a shop could be $500 to $1000 and you can do it
for $60. Now there the value proposition makes it logical to DIY.