Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Where to get washers for old taps

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:34:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 18:50:08 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

Been to two plumbing merchants, one very much old school, and nothing
near.

Both taps were dripping or have to be tightened such that they can't
be loosened by normal mortals and I guess that is because they
struggle after the house was converted from a hot water tank in the
loft to mains pressure on the combi. The cold taps are still from a
header tank.

I've temporarily got around the problem by:
a) Turning the basin washer around

So as per subject, I can't be the only person in the UK with these old
taps, where do I get suitable new washers?

b) Gently filing the bath washer flat

Just cut down bathtap washers. It's quicker than ordering online.

If I cut down a bathtap washer it won't seal the bath tap.

--
AnthonyL