Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years - saving over $400

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 18:57:46 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 04:37:01 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Woooah there Pilgrim. You have a vivid imagination. I never said any
of that, quite the opposite. I said that I'm not going to mount tires
at home myself, for many reasons, when I can get them mounted and dynamically
balanced at Costco for $15 a tire. Step three is really dumb,
screwing around mounting them at home, then pay $5 at Costco to get them
balanced, when you can get them mounted and balanced for $15, no fuss,
no muss.

Hi Trader,
Your math is sound, where I agree with your logic.
o Adults have no problem agreeing on facts & basic logical deductions.

In addition, I want to say that I very much appreciate that you mentioned
that Costco now does non-Costco tires, which they didn't used to do (which
I confirmed at Costco afer I read your original post).

Hence, Usenet worked as a medicum for us to bounce ideas back & forth
o Where I appreciate that you brought value to the potluck picnic

I don't disagree that the $15 Costco mounting price makes wanting your own
tools less incentive by price alone, as, another advantage of the $15
Costco mounting is the free balance & rotation.

It's a lot less fun to go to Costo than to do it yourself
o But at those great prices, it's a lot harder on the home math.

Given the free rotation & balance, the $15 price isn't bad, I agree, and,
in fact, if I had known that five or so years ago when I calculated the
payback costs of the tire-changing tools, I might have given up on the
tire-changing tools, just like I have given up on having my own paint booth
and lift and alignment tools.

The main problem with Costco are the lines, but, the price is great.
o Costco might not put in brass tire valves - but you do get green air!

In summary, having Costco do the work is a lot less fun
o But it's a viable option for sure given they do non-Costco tires.

The thing everybody is forgetting is REAL TIRE SHOPS and REAL AUTO
REPAIR SHOPS mount and balance tires for the same price - or very
close - and you CAN GET AN APPOINTMENT. If your time isn't worth
anything, and aggravation has no value, I guess standing in line at
Costco is a good option.

When I buy new tires I drop my rims off at the tire shop where I
bought the tires and pick them up a few hours later (ofter going to
Costco for a $1.50 sausage and drink and a $2 Ice Cream?).
Usually I buy my tires at seasonal change-over. When I put the snows
on I say "those summer tires are not going back on" - and to be sure I
buy the new summer tires and have them installed as soon as I get the
snows on. The summers then go up into the attic of the shed and I'm
all set for next year. Doesn't matter if the tire shop takes an hour
or a week to source, mount and balance the new tires. By the time I
put them back on next spring the sting of the cost of the new tires is
forgotten, and I'm a happy camper!!