Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years - saving over $400

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 04:37:01 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Woooah there Pilgrim. You have a vivid imagination. I never said any
of that, quite the opposite. I said that I'm not going to mount tires
at home myself, for many reasons, when I can get them mounted and dynamically
balanced at Costco for $15 a tire. Step three is really dumb,
screwing around mounting them at home, then pay $5 at Costco to get them
balanced, when you can get them mounted and balanced for $15, no fuss,
no muss.

Hi Trader,
Your math is sound, where I agree with your logic.
o Adults have no problem agreeing on facts & basic logical deductions.

In addition, I want to say that I very much appreciate that you mentioned
that Costco now does non-Costco tires, which they didn't used to do (which
I confirmed at Costco afer I read your original post).

Hence, Usenet worked as a medicum for us to bounce ideas back & forth
o Where I appreciate that you brought value to the potluck picnic

I don't disagree that the $15 Costco mounting price makes wanting your own
tools less incentive by price alone, as, another advantage of the $15
Costco mounting is the free balance & rotation.

It's a lot less fun to go to Costo than to do it yourself
o But at those great prices, it's a lot harder on the home math.

Given the free rotation & balance, the $15 price isn't bad, I agree, and,
in fact, if I had known that five or so years ago when I calculated the
payback costs of the tire-changing tools, I might have given up on the
tire-changing tools, just like I have given up on having my own paint booth
and lift and alignment tools.

The main problem with Costco are the lines, but, the price is great.
o Costco might not put in brass tire valves - but you do get green air!

In summary, having Costco do the work is a lot less fun
o But it's a viable option for sure given they do non-Costco tires.