Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years - saving over $400

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 00:56:22 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

OK - find any credible reference showing the use of yellow and red by
ANY other manufacturer where the colors are switched. ANY. I'm
throwing you the challenge. Remember - it has to be a CREDIBLE
reference - from someone who is guaranteed to know more about the
subject than you - in other words not a hobbyist - but someone
intimately familliar with the company involved.

Hi Clare,

We don't disagree.

o You're basing your belief system on your experience & knowledge
o I'm basing my belief system on my experience & current references

You have far more experience & knowledge than I do, Clare.
o My experience is the same as yours, which is red=uniformity, yellow=weight

I'm all about facts, where facts are funny just as adults are funny, in
that adults can easily agree on facts if they're presented logically.

Presenting facts logically, would you agree that both you and I have
_never_ seen any other colors than red === unifority, and yellow ===
weight, right?

OK. So we both agree that we have never seen it done any other way, right?

All I'm saying is that _some_ references "claim" that those aren't the only
colors and that those colors "may" mean whatever they mean to the specific
manufacturer.

For example, I _already_ provided two cites for those claims, Cla
o So you have everything that I have already.

You don't have to _believe_ those cites
o But you do have to belief that they exist (which is all I'm saying).

Unfortunately, the canonical Bridgestone PDF is nowhere to be found...
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/real/magazines/ra_v13_i1/PDF/ra_v13i1%20ask%20doc.pdf
but we can assume this guy accurately copied it since people complained
that he copied it, where Bridgestone is said to say, very clearly:
"Does Every Tire Manufacturer Use The Same Marks?
Unfortunately, no. Some manufacturers do not mark their tires at all,
and *some use _different_ colors*.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/f-y-i-meaning-yellow-red-dots-tires-1378801/

While standards can be different for USA tires, this Contenental Technical
Bulletin for the UK & Ireland says Continental sometimes uses "white" dots
and sometimes "yellow" dots, and even "blue" dots for the weight dot.
"Although there is a consistent red coloured dot identifying the tyres
'radial force variations first harmonic maximum',
*there is _no standard colour_ for the 'light static balance point'*
*Continental Tyres indicate [light static balance point] with a white dot*
*but it may be yellow or blue*"
https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/554548/e3119edf9831c33103e5a771a0fe5717/download-coloured-dot-markings-data.pdf

The real question of import is where to put the tire on an old steel stock
wheel versus an old custom alloy wheel when mounting at home (and where the
original match mounting marks are likely obliterated), where the cite you
brought up says "it's confusing".

Are you up for the challenge Mr Holder?
Not saying it isn't out there, or that you won't find it - but I've
never seen it. Mabee someone used green and orange, or white and
yellow, or white and red. - happy hunting.

Hi Clare,

We don't disagree.
o And I already previously gave you the cites in the post you responded to.

Clearly both Continental & Bridgestone said the colors can differ.
o Just as clearly, both you and I have never seen them differ.

Both those are facts, Clare.
o You simply have to sort them out for yourself, as did I.

It's fine for you to state you don't believe the references
o Or if you state the references only apply to Europe & not to the USA

But you can't claim that my statements aren't based on those references.

We are both adults Clare, where I'm only stating what I've read in the
cites, which I proved above, which I proved _before_ you claimed that I
didn't prove that claim.

Whether or not the references are correct is a completely different issue,
Clare, where I, like you, have _never_ seen the red dot not mean uniformity
and the yellow dot not mean weight.

Rest assured, nobody has _ever_ seen me state material facts wrong on
Usenet, Clare, and I've posted for many (many) years.(See note 1).

That's because I don't say things are facts if they're not based on facts.

Hence, for every material fact you hear me write on Usenet
o You can rest assured I can find a cite backing up that fact.

Do you know anyone with as incredible a record on facts as I have Clare?
o HINT: My belief systems are based on facts that I can cite.

The real question of import is where to put the tire on an old steel stock
wheel versus an old custom alloy wheel when mounting at home (and where the
original match mounting marks are likely obliterated), where the cite you
brought up says "it's confusing".

In summary Clare, "some" references (particularly for European markets)
clearly claim that the colors can be different; but I agree with you that
both you and I have _never_ seen the dots in the USA mean anything but
o red === uniformity
o yellow === weight

--
(1) I'm human, so, I must have once or twice in many thousands of posts,
misstated a material fact, especially as Usenet is casual, but nobody can