Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years -saving over $400

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 4:05:17 AM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 03:40:32 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 02:22:10 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 03:39:00 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:39:45 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

There is only one place in Ontario to buy Nokian Hak tires - KAL
Tire.

Hi Clare,
I agree with your logic, since adults generally have no problem agreeing on
rational logic based on actual facts so if that's the only place you can
get your tires from that you want, then there's no way you're gonna save
even a penny trying to get them online.

But since I get them online, if I include the tire savings, see my rough
calculation below which comes out to over $1,000 saved in the past 5 years
assuming a nominal $100 tire.

I don't drive on $100 tires. Last tire I bought was $223.00 plus
disposal fee and HST.
The tires I put on my daughter's car were about $180 each - for 16
inch tires.

Just checked - that was including tax, install and ballance. Small
tires (205 55 16) for Hyundai Elantra GT. - so $142 plus install,
disposal fee, and taxes. I guess that's about $106 US for the bare
tire.
The 235 70 16 tires on the Ranger and 225 70 17 on the Sorento cost
significantly more. Almost double.

The Hyundai tire is the same as the base tire on a 325i Bimmer - so
I guess in Cali a $100 tire on a low end bimmer might make sense. On a
528i a 245 45 18 is going to be close to 3 times that price. (about
$405 Canadian and up plus tax and install)
Don't remember what Bimmer Arlen drives.

There is also the issue of how long a tire lasts. IDK if there is a
correlation between cost and life, but I can tell you that the last
Michelins went 100K miles, which surprised me. So, if you paid half
that and they went half or less than that, would that tire be a good
deal? I always look at reviews and ratings.