Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years - saving over $400

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 10:05:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/29/2019 4:48 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
UPDATE:

Today I mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years, where
each time I do this easy job, I learn new tricks to make it even easier.

This mountain eats up everyone's tires, which _never_ get the claimed
mileage (not even close) but I can't use the warranty because I can't prove
that I do all the work myself.

Cost savings at $20/tire = $600 minus about $200 for tools = $400 to date,
but the real value is the satisfaction of being able to do it myself.

Whatever works for you. n the past 15 years I paid to have 8 tires
changed. No payback for me.

The mounting and ballancing on my Haks was free - cost me the same
mounted and ballanced as "cash and carry" - and repairs are free for
the life of the tire. I changed enough tires in my working years that
I don't need to do it as a hobby - and particularly with ****ty
equipment. As for balancing, a static balance uis betterthan none,
but a 1/4 oz resolution on a dynamic balance is pretty much a
requirement for me at highway speeds. I want my tires running SMOOTH
AS SILK - not just balanced well enough to keep them from shaking the
hubcaps off.