Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years -saving over $400

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 10:05:42 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/29/2019 4:48 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
UPDATE:

Today I mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years, where
each time I do this easy job, I learn new tricks to make it even easier.

This mountain eats up everyone's tires, which _never_ get the claimed
mileage (not even close) but I can't use the warranty because I can't prove
that I do all the work myself.

Cost savings at $20/tire = $600 minus about $200 for tools = $400 to date,
but the real value is the satisfaction of being able to do it myself.

Whatever works for you. n the past 15 years I paid to have 8 tires
changed. No payback for me.

About the same here, 4 in the last 5 years. Got them mounted at Costco
for $15 each. They will even mount tires that you don't buy there.
And they dynamically balance them too, which you can't do at home.
I do a lot of work on cars myself, brakes, transfer case chain, valve
cover gaskets, water pumps, but not this when you can get it
done in 20 mins for $15 a tire. Those other repairs just use the typical
shop tools that I already have and I saved $$$$. Transfer case chain is
a good example, it would be $3000 at the BMW dealer, I did it for $100.