Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Happy Easter

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 05:38:40 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 4/23/19 1:20 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
T wrote

It is not what you think. It is to support the temple.* They look at
it like membership fees at a gym.* Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

That last is very arguable with tithing.

Tithing is Old Testament. Christians are asked to give as we
are able.
There isn't some big, ugly guy standing at the door collecting a cover
charge.
I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out for being a cheap skate.
They
do keep track at my church. I think it's just for tax purposes as it's
not published.
I don't see Christian giving as strictly to a church. Giving to
something like
flood relief counts if someone is keeping track and wants to use the 10% Old
Testament tithing tradition as his personal standard.

Among many devout Christians 10% is the minimum. Not enforced by
anyone - but self expectation. Anything over and above is the "gift" -
and many give until it hurts. I know many who WILLINGLY give 40 and
50% - and they are not "rich" people. And the giving is not to one
"church" - although a good portion MAY be directed that way.(Through
designated giving to different projects such as local homeless
missions, disaser relief, christian broadcasting, etc)