Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Happy Easter

I talked to Jesus this morning.

He asked why he was never invited to Easter parties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/19 9:00 AM, notX wrote:
I talked to Jesus this morning.

He asked why he was never invited to Easter parties.

Every year he shows up for hundreds of thousands of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2019 04:44 AM, T wrote:
On 4/21/19 9:00 AM, notX wrote:
I talked to Jesus this morning.

He asked why he was never invited to Easter parties.

Every year he shows up for hundreds of thousands of them.

As I drove through town yesterday, I saw church parking lots filled to
overflowing with those making their annual pilgrimage to church. There
is a temple in Boston that sold tickets for Yom Kippur. I though that
was rather odd but on reflection you might as well shear them while
you've got them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/19 6:28 AM, rbowman wrote:
annual pilgrimage to church

Uhhhh. "Semi" annual. You forgot Christmas.

If you were not joking about Yom Kippur (Jesus saves, Moses invests),
then it was probably to some social event.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2019 04:05 PM, T wrote:
On 4/22/19 6:28 AM, rbowman wrote:
annual pilgrimage to church

Uhhhh. "Semi" annual. You forgot Christmas.

I don't think Christmas gets as much play although it's close. Historically:

"Lest any be kept away from Communion by the fear that the requisite
preparation is too hard and laborious, the faithful are frequently to be
reminded that they are all bound to receive the Holy Eucharist.
Furthermore, the Church has decreed that whoever neglects to approach
Holy Communion once a year, at Easter, is liable to sentence of
excommunication."

That's from the 1215 Fourth Lateral Council and was affirmed by the
Council of Trent. It was modified in 1983. Canon law 989:

989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the
faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least
once a year.

At least for people over 40, Easter is the time to air your dirty
laundry. Note that it says 'grave sins'. If you've never chalked up any
grave sins, you never have to confess. Your call.

If you were not joking about Yom Kippur (Jesus saves, Moses invests),
then it was probably to some social event.

I absolutely was not kidding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/u...ynagogues.html
https://www.templeisaiah.net/request...y-tickets.html

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...liday-tickets/

https://www.sinaibrookline.org/worsh...information-2/

Temple Sinai in Brookline MA is the specific on I am familiar with.
Cough up $250 if you're not somebody's close relative. Relatives get it
wholesale, only $150. What a bargain.

You read the book, didn't you, the part about the money changers in the
temple?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 04/22/2019 04:05 PM, T wrote:
On 4/22/19 6:28 AM, rbowman wrote:
annual pilgrimage to church

Uhhhh. "Semi" annual. You forgot Christmas.

I don't think Christmas gets as much play although it's close.
Historically:

"Lest any be kept away from Communion by the fear that the requisite
preparation is too hard and laborious, the faithful are frequently to be
reminded that they are all bound to receive the Holy Eucharist.
Furthermore, the Church has decreed that whoever neglects to approach Holy
Communion once a year, at Easter, is liable to sentence of
excommunication."

And then huge numbers noticed how ****ed the roman
catholic church had become and even more noticed how
****ed even the protestants had become and that **** got
tossed in the bin along with all the other **** like burning
people at the stake and having full scale religious wars.

That's from the 1215 Fourth Lateral Council and was affirmed by the
Council of Trent. It was modified in 1983. Canon law 989:

And those fools did nothing about the professionally
religious raping children in their churches.

989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the
faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least
once a year.

At least for people over 40, Easter is the time to air your dirty laundry.
Note that it says 'grave sins'. If you've never chalked up any grave sins,
you never have to confess. Your call.

I'm not actually stupid enough to have anything to do
with that steaming turd of a church, let alone stupid
enough to confess to some arsehole who rapes children.

If you were not joking about Yom Kippur (Jesus saves, Moses invests),
then it was probably to some social event.

I absolutely was not kidding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/u...ynagogues.html

Fark, interesting.

https://www.templeisaiah.net/request...y-tickets.html

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...liday-tickets/

https://www.sinaibrookline.org/worsh...information-2/

Temple Sinai in Brookline MA is the specific on I am familiar with. Cough
up $250 if you're not somebody's close relative. Relatives get it
wholesale, only $150. What a bargain.

You read the book, didn't you, the part about the money changers in the
temple?

Spose so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/19 7:04 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/22/2019 04:05 PM, T wrote:
On 4/22/19 6:28 AM, rbowman wrote:
annual pilgrimage to church

Uhhhh.Â* "Semi" annual.Â* You forgot Christmas.

I don't think Christmas gets as much play although it's close.
Historically:

"Lest any be kept away from Communion by the fear that the requisite
preparation is too hard and laborious, the faithful are frequently to be
reminded that they are all bound to receive the Holy Eucharist.
Furthermore, the Church has decreed that whoever neglects to approach
Holy Communion once a year, at Easter, is liable to sentence of
excommunication."

That's from the 1215 Fourth Lateral Council and was affirmed by the
Council of Trent. It was modified in 1983. Canon law 989:

989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the
faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least
once a year.

At least for people over 40, Easter is the time to air your dirty
laundry.Â* Note that it says 'grave sins'. If you've never chalked up any
grave sins, you never have to confess. Your call.

The Catholics left the Ancient Church in 10-54 (the Great Schism).
They have been going off on their own for some time now. But, they
still believe in Christ and are Christians.

The ancient church considers it a sadness, not a sin to neglect
services.

If you were not joking about Yom Kippur (Jesus saves, Moses invests),
then it was probably to some social event.

I absolutely was not kidding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/u...ynagogues.html

https://www.templeisaiah.net/request...y-tickets.html

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...liday-tickets/

https://www.sinaibrookline.org/worsh...information-2/

Temple Sinai in Brookline MA is the specific on I am familiar with.
Cough up $250 if you're not somebody's close relative. Relatives get it
wholesale, only $150. What a bargain.

You read the book, didn't you, the part about the money changers in the
temple?

Nice discussion over he

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...liday-tickets/

It is not what you think. It is to support the temple. They look at it
like membership fees at a gym. Christians pass the plate.

That money goes to help pay for the building, staff,
rabbi, cantor, childrens programming, classes, even
food for Kiddush. Synagogues are businesses, in addition
to being places of worship. They need to stay afloat
financially if they want to be able to provide basics
like holiday and services to their members.

If you are already a member of the temple, it is free.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2019 09:02 PM, T wrote:
It is not what you think. It is to support the temple. They look at it
like membership fees at a gym. Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote
T wrote

It is not what you think. It is to support the temple. They look
at it like membership fees at a gym. Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

That last is very arguable with tithing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/19 10:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/22/2019 09:02 PM, T wrote:
It is not what you think. It is to support the temple.Â* They look at it
like membership fees at a gym.Â* Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

Mine experience too.

The Jewish temples do need to fund their operations somehow.
But it does seem a bit odd from a Christian standpoint, especially
since we came from them.

Religious Jews are a force for good in the community. We all
benefit when religious organizations complete in the community
in the arena of good works, especially when we cooperator
with each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 12:21:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And then huge numbers noticed how ****ed the roman
catholic church had become

No Roman Catholic church could ever be as totally ****ed as you are, you
abnormal 85-year-old trolling senile pest!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 16:20:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

That last is very arguable with tithing.

Now, what is NOT arguable for you, you pathological auto-contradicting
asshole? BG

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2019 09:02 PM, T wrote:
It is not what you think. It is to support the temple. They look at it
like membership fees at a gym. Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best.

Plenty dont, they tithe instead.

They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

Mine experience too.

Then you need to get out more.

The Jewish temples do need to fund their operations somehow.

So does any church etc.

But it does seem a bit odd from a Christian standpoint,

Yes, you lot are actually that ignorant.

especially since we came from them.

But differ on lots of stuff like how its funded.

Religious Jews are a force for good in the community.

Bull****, none of you stupid god botherers are.

We all benefit when religious organizations complete in the community in
the arena of good works,

**** all do anymore.

especially when we cooperator with each other.

**** all do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 19:30:43 +1000, 2987pl, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/19 1:20 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
T wrote

It is not what you think. It is to support the temple.Â* They look at
it like membership fees at a gym.Â* Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

That last is very arguable with tithing.

Tithing is Old Testament. Christians are asked to give as we
are able.
There isn't some big, ugly guy standing at the door collecting a cover
charge.
I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out for being a cheap skate.
They
do keep track at my church. I think it's just for tax purposes as it's
not published.
I don't see Christian giving as strictly to a church. Giving to
something like
flood relief counts if someone is keeping track and wants to use the 10% Old
Testament tithing tradition as his personal standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/2019 12:25 AM, T wrote:
The Jewish temples do need to fund their operations somehow.
But it does seem a bit odd from a Christian standpoint, especially
since we came from them.

Christian churches seem to do alright though I doubt tithing is as
popular as it used to be. There are a number of large, new churches in
this area of some sort of generic protestant flavor. The mainline
denominations aren't expanding. A friend who is more wired into church
stuff told me when the Slavic Pentacostals built their church it was
designed to be literally the biggest church in town. They seem to fill
their parking lot on Sundays and one weekday evening, Wednesday I think.

There is a small Jewish congregation that survives. I'm surprised they
can muster up a minyan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/2019 04:38 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

https://www.lds.org/topics/tithing?lang=eng

"One of the blessings of membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints is the privilege of paying tithing. This privilege is
a double blessing. "

Now there's a sales spiel. Along with the carrot there is the stick.
"You're planning on a temple wedding for your daughter? Let's check your
record."

Most of my church exposure was to the Catholic Church. There have been
church taxes in the past in some countries but Leviticus doesn't carry
much weight. The Protestants are more into that OT stuff; they missed
the memo about a new covenant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 10:09:41 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Matthew 5:18

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 05:38:40 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

[...]

Among many devout Christians 10% is the minimum. Not enforced by
anyone - but self expectation. Anything over and above is the "gift" -
and many give until it hurts. I know many who WILLINGLY give 40 and
50% - and they are not "rich" people. And the giving is not to one
"church" - although a good portion MAY be directed that way.(Through
designated giving to different projects such as local homeless
missions, disaser relief, christian broadcasting, etc)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On 4/23/19 1:20 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
T wrote

It is not what you think. It is to support the temple. They look at it
like membership fees at a gym. Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell $250
tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

That last is very arguable with tithing.

Tithing is Old Testament.

Its also used by some christian sects.

Christians are asked to give as we are able.

That varys with the christian sect.

There isn't some big, ugly guy standing at the door collecting a cover
charge.

There isnt with the jews either, or the
muslims or the eastern religions either.

I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out for being a cheap skate.

Then you need to get out more, particularly observing
how some christian sects operate in the regard.

They do keep track at my church.

Funny that.

I think it's just for tax purposes as it's not published.

No requirement to track who donates what for tax purposes.

I don't see Christian giving as strictly to a church.

It isnt for the jews either.

Giving to something like flood relief counts if someone is keeping track
and wants to use the 10% Old
Testament tithing tradition as his personal standard.

Its a lot more than just a personal standard with some christian sects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 04:21:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

[...]

Wow, seems you were lucky to have found some simpleton who took your latest
bait, senile Rodent! Eh? Gonna be interesting for how long THIS "discussion"
will go on. BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/19 1:21 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On 4/23/19 1:20 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
T wrote

It is not what you think. It is to support the temple.Â* They look
at it like membership fees at a gym.Â* Christians pass the plate.

Christians pass the plate and hope for the best. They don't sell
$250 tickets nor do they, in my experience, have membership fees.

That last is very arguable with tithing.

Tithing is Old Testament.

Its also used by some christian sects.

Christians are asked to give as we are able.

That varys with the christian sect.

Â*There isn't some big, ugly guy standing at the door collecting a
cover charge.

There isnt with the jews either, or the
muslims or the eastern religions either.

I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out for being a cheap skate.

Then you need to get out more, particularly observing
how some christian sects operate in the regard.

They do keep track at my church.

Funny that.

I think it's just for tax purposes as it's not published.

No requirement to track who donates what for tax purposes.

The IRS isn't all that gullible. Donation records are required
if one wants to claim charitable deductions.

I don't see Christian giving as strictly to a church.

It isnt for the jews either.

Giving to something like flood relief counts if someone is keeping
track and wants to use the 10% Old
Testament tithing tradition as his personal standard.

Its a lot more than just a personal standard with some christian sects.

Happy Easter / Happy Wester [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 5th 15 09:29 PM
HAPPY EASTER Brian Lawson Metalworking 2 April 4th 10 06:38 PM
OT Happy Easter sweet sawdust Woodworking 42 April 22nd 09 11:49 PM
Happy Easter sweet sawdust Woodturning 1 April 13th 09 01:52 AM
Happy Easter [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 1st 05 04:41 AM