Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Happy Easter

On 04/22/2019 04:05 PM, T wrote:
On 4/22/19 6:28 AM, rbowman wrote:
annual pilgrimage to church

Uhhhh. "Semi" annual. You forgot Christmas.

I don't think Christmas gets as much play although it's close. Historically:

"Lest any be kept away from Communion by the fear that the requisite
preparation is too hard and laborious, the faithful are frequently to be
reminded that they are all bound to receive the Holy Eucharist.
Furthermore, the Church has decreed that whoever neglects to approach
Holy Communion once a year, at Easter, is liable to sentence of
excommunication."

That's from the 1215 Fourth Lateral Council and was affirmed by the
Council of Trent. It was modified in 1983. Canon law 989:

989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the
faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least
once a year.

At least for people over 40, Easter is the time to air your dirty
laundry. Note that it says 'grave sins'. If you've never chalked up any
grave sins, you never have to confess. Your call.

If you were not joking about Yom Kippur (Jesus saves, Moses invests),
then it was probably to some social event.

I absolutely was not kidding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/u...ynagogues.html
https://www.templeisaiah.net/request...y-tickets.html

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...liday-tickets/

https://www.sinaibrookline.org/worsh...information-2/

Temple Sinai in Brookline MA is the specific on I am familiar with.
Cough up $250 if you're not somebody's close relative. Relatives get it
wholesale, only $150. What a bargain.

You read the book, didn't you, the part about the money changers in the
temple?