Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default old battery types.

wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 04:55:38 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 April 2019 15:09:17 UTC+1, NY wrote:

I've never heard the terms "baby torch" and "standard torch" but I can
vaguely remember U11 (C), U2 (D), U12 (AA). I don't remember U16 (AAA)
but
maybe there weren't many devices that used sufficiently little power
that
AAA would last long enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes lists them all -
including ones I'd forgotten about like the flexible-strip terminal
4.5-volt
battery 1289 and the huge 6V spring-terminal Lantern battery. For some
reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was called a PP9
(9
for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V rectangular
battery
with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped conical shape,
IIRC;
that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

I wonder if the UK started using ANSI names (AA, AAA, C, D) to come
into
line with US conventions, realising that they could no longer hold out
with
their own UK-specific names, in the same way that film speeds are now
always
quoted in ASA (aka ISO) rather than DIN (German standard logarithmic
scale).

There were 6v lantern packs with screw tops, might it be those you
remember?

AAAs weren't much use until alkalines came along as they held so little
energy.

They worked fine with very low power devices like remotes.

there were few of those around in the 70s,

Bull****.

hence the AAAs were little use.

More bull****.

reams of your desperate attempt to bull**** your way out
of your predicament, as always, flushed where it belongs