Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old battery types.

Can one still get pp1, pp4 and pp9 batteries by the way?
PP1 were six volt press stud, pp4 round but 9 v press stud either end and
pp9 big 9v for good portable radios.
Also looking for the bijou battery since its used in a vintage torch.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 April 2019 18:07:26 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can one still get pp1, pp4 and pp9 batteries by the way?
PP1 were six volt press stud, pp4 round but 9 v press stud either end and
pp9 big 9v for good portable radios.
Also looking for the bijou battery since its used in a vintage torch.
Brian

PP9s are still out there, think I saw one in wilkinson not too long ago. Halfords, ebay, amazon etc still have them.

PP1 & PP4 I've not seen in many years.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the Bijou was 3 v with two cells in a cardboard sleeve. Fatter than AA
but shorter than c
Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips and the
3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side, and the lantern
batteries with the springs on the top often used by schoolchildren with wire
wool to start a fire. grin.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
On Friday, 19 April 2019 18:07:26 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can one still get pp1, pp4 and pp9 batteries by the way?
PP1 were six volt press stud, pp4 round but 9 v press stud either end and
pp9 big 9v for good portable radios.
Also looking for the bijou battery since its used in a vintage torch.
Brian

PP9s are still out there, think I saw one in wilkinson not too long ago.
Halfords, ebay, amazon etc still have them.

PP1 & PP4 I've not seen in many years.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 April 2019 18:24:43 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

There were several different large 1.5v cells, more than was ever sensible.
Many obsolete types can be found on ebay, amazon, and probably elsewhere. But cheap they are not.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 18:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes the Bijou was 3 v with two cells in a cardboard sleeve. Fatter than AA
but shorter than c
Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips and the
3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side, and the lantern
batteries with the springs on the top often used by schoolchildren with wire
wool to start a fire. grin.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?
Brian

There's a danger of sounding like Maurice Chevalier but "yes, ah
remember zem well".
Eee lad, tell that to kids today and they won't believe thee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 18:24:37 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips

1289 - but called a 3LR12 (and possibly other names) today.

and the 3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side

People seem to be making lash-ups for those, so probably obsolete.

and the lantern batteries with the springs on the top often used by
schoolchildren with wire wool to start a fire. grin.

I have a moderately new torch that uses one of those. They are readily
available. You can also get rechargeable ones, and my torch has a hole
(filled with a rubber plug) so that it can be charged in situ.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?

Yes. I think it's all piezo these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 18:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes the Bijou was 3 v with two cells in a cardboard sleeve. Fatter than AA
but shorter than c
Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips and the
3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side, and the lantern
batteries with the springs on the top often used by schoolchildren with wire
wool to start a fire. grin.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?
Brian

My parents' gas fire had a battery holder, with a tube inside, that held
one D-cell and a dummy or two D-cells. It started with one plus dummy
when installed, but had to switch to two when we changed from town gas
to natural gas.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2019 18:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can one still get pp1, pp4 and pp9 batteries by the way?
PP1 were six volt press stud, pp4 round but 9 v press stud either end and
pp9 big 9v for good portable radios.
Also looking for the bijou battery since its used in a vintage torch.
Brian

Someone I know well used to trespass on the main East Coast line during
the late 1950 and early 1960s, looking for things to steal. One thing he
found (by smashing a padlock) was a large number of very large 1.5V
cells. They had screw terminals and were connected in series. They were
black, rectangular, about 3" x 3" x 10". They were very heavy but the
boy managed to carry a lot of them home, where he used them to power his
spark transmitter.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes those are going back though. We had an old Alba portable with those
inside. Actually the speaker was rubbish on that thing and the dial was in
the handle.
On off vol on one side band change on the other and an edge wise tuning.
Seemed all modern at the time, sigh?

Hearing aids are interesting as well as some of them were valve, little flat
brown things and a mercury battery for the filaments and a tiny ht battery.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote:

Yes the Bijou was 3 v with two cells in a cardboard sleeve. Fatter than AA
but shorter than c
Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips and the
3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side, and the
lantern
batteries with the springs on the top often used by schoolchildren with
wire
wool to start a fire. grin.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?

Or those large heavy 90v radio batteries with ?60 cells in series (or
was it 120 cells in series-parallel, 10 x 12 - they were almost
square) and all sealed up with bitumen and providing HT for the
valves, and oblong flat batteries for the filaments, several 1.5 volt
cells in parallel.

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 08:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes why did we start calling batteries c and d and stopped calling them U11
and u2?

The influence of Tandy on the high street I think.

I remember batteries purchased from there (or got free - battery club)
had the ANSI codes displayed, or equipment sold was spec'ed as requiring
such.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 08:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes why did we start calling batteries c and d and stopped calling them U11
and u2?

U11 and U2? Do you mean "Baby Torch" [1] and "Standard Torch"?

[1] Actually 2 U11 size in a cardboard tube.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/04/2019 08:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes why did we start calling batteries c and d and stopped calling them
U11
and u2?

U11 and U2? Do you mean "Baby Torch" [1] and "Standard Torch"?

[1] Actually 2 U11 size in a cardboard tube.

I've never heard the terms "baby torch" and "standard torch" but I can
vaguely remember U11 (C), U2 (D), U12 (AA). I don't remember U16 (AAA) but
maybe there weren't many devices that used sufficiently little power that a
AAA would last long enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes lists them all -
including ones I'd forgotten about like the flexible-strip terminal 4.5-volt
battery 1289 and the huge 6V spring-terminal Lantern battery. For some
reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was called a PP9 (9
for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V rectangular battery
with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped conical shape, IIRC;
that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

I wonder if the UK started using ANSI names (AA, AAA, C, D) to come into
line with US conventions, realising that they could no longer hold out with
their own UK-specific names, in the same way that film speeds are now always
quoted in ASA (aka ISO) rather than DIN (German standard logarithmic scale).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 15:08, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/04/2019 08:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes why did we start calling batteries c and d and stopped calling
them U11
and u2?

U11 and U2? Do you mean "Baby Torch" [1] and "Standard Torch"?

[1] Actually 2 U11 size in a cardboard tube.

I've never heard the terms "baby torch" and "standard torch" but I can
vaguely remember U11 (C), U2 (D), U12 (AA). I don't remember U16 (AAA)
but maybe there weren't many devices that used sufficiently little power
that a AAA would last long enough.

I remember them as Ever-Ready products (that's what the local hardware
shop sold) and coloured white and blue, labelled as SP11, SP2 and SP12
(standard zinc carbon) and coloured orange, labelled HP11, HP2 and HP12
(longer lasting).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes lists them all -
including ones I'd forgotten about like the flexible-strip terminal
4.5-volt battery 1289

Bike light IIRC.

and the huge 6V spring-terminal Lantern battery.

Got one of those somewhere.

For some reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was
called a PP9 (9 for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V
rectangular battery with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped
conical shape, IIRC; that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

If that is the one I remember, my grandparents doorbell ran off one of
those and the battery sat on the wood of the doorframe.

I wonder if the UK started using ANSI names (AA, AAA, C, D) to come into
line with US conventions, realising that they could no longer hold out
with their own UK-specific names, in the same way that film speeds are
now always quoted in ASA (aka ISO) rather than DIN (German standard
logarithmic scale).

I don't know, but it is simpler if everyone uses the same.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I also remember a 4.5V rectangular battery
with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped conical shape, IIRC;
that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

The Eveready 126, it was even labelled "bell battery" at one time. Originally it had all brass screw terminals later versions black conical plastic screw terminals. My first Scalextric set had a plate that you attached three of them using the terminals, used as a power supply, transformers at that time being quite expensive and having to be bought separately and not supplied as part of the set. Many a Xmas ruined by parents forgetting to buy the PSU.

Richard

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ever_battery_126.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

U11 and U2? Do you mean "Baby Torch" [1] and "Standard Torch"?

I've never heard the terms "baby torch" and "standard torch" but I can
vaguely remember U11 (C), U2 (D), U12 (AA).

I remember AAs as HP7 or 'Penlight'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 15:34:58 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

For some reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was
called a PP9 (9 for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V
rectangular battery with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped
conical shape, IIRC; that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

If that is the one I remember, my grandparents doorbell ran off one of
those and the battery sat on the wood of the doorframe.

I had a transistor radio that used TWO of them!

http://vintage-radios-london.co.uk/V...-TP85-LWMW-FM-
Portable-Transistor-Radio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 15:09:17 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

There were 6v lantern packs with screw tops, might it be those you remember?

AAAs weren't much use until alkalines came along as they held so little energy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#800 ISTR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 12:59:26 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

There were 6v lantern packs with screw tops, might it be those you
remember?

There still are. 4(L)R25X.

But I think the ones being remembered are the 918 (now 4(L)R25-2. They
seems to have more rounded corners now (the old ones had a cardboard
case).

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lante...eries/1141809/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 20:57, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 15:34:58 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

For some reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was
called a PP9 (9 for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V
rectangular battery with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped
conical shape, IIRC; that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

If that is the one I remember, my grandparents doorbell ran off one of
those and the battery sat on the wood of the doorframe.

I had a transistor radio that used TWO of them!

http://vintage-radios-london.co.uk/V...-TP85-LWMW-FM-
Portable-Transistor-Radio

Note that's two PP9s, not bell batteries.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 19:30, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Max Demian wrote:
U11 and U2? Do you mean "Baby Torch" [1] and "Standard Torch"?

I've never heard the terms "baby torch" and "standard torch" but I can
vaguely remember U11 (C), U2 (D), U12 (AA).

I remember AAs as HP7 or 'Penlight'

The original penlight batteries often consisted of two cells in one
paper sleeve, for the original pen light torches. If you just wanted one
and the shop didn't have singles they would break the double one in half
for you.

When they started the "high power" (zinc chloride) U12s they called them
U7 rather than HP16 for some reason; later HP7.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 23:24:17 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 20/04/2019 20:57, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 15:34:58 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

For some reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was
called a PP9 (9 for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V
rectangular battery with screw terminals - the screw part was a
stepped conical shape, IIRC; that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

If that is the one I remember, my grandparents doorbell ran off one of
those and the battery sat on the wood of the doorframe.

I had a transistor radio that used TWO of them!

http://vintage-radios-london.co.uk/V...-TP85-LWMW-FM-
Portable-Transistor-Radio

Note that's two PP9s, not bell batteries.

Yes, I should have trimmed more of the quoted paragraph. Still bloody big
and heavy for a radio - as I found. But they did last ages. I had that
radio for years and years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 20/04/2019 15:08, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I used those a lot, for those big rectangular torches.
Got the batterys for free from work.

For some reason I'd always thought that the PP3 9-volt battery was called
a PP9 (9 for 9 volts) rather than PP3. I also remember a 4.5V rectangular
battery with screw terminals - the screw part was a stepped conical
shape, IIRC; that's not listed on the Wikipedia page.

If that is the one I remember, my grandparents doorbell ran off one of
those and the battery sat on the wood of the doorframe.

I wonder if the UK started using ANSI names (AA, AAA, C, D) to come into
line with US conventions, realising that they could no longer hold out
with their own UK-specific names, in the same way that film speeds are
now always quoted in ASA (aka ISO) rather than DIN (German standard
logarithmic scale).

I don't know, but it is simpler if everyone uses the same.

Its got much worse now with li ion batterys, 18650 etc.
Those are sort of the dimensions but the protected ones
use the same number and the protection means that
they are no longer the same length. Bizarre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 April 2019 15:09:17 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

They worked fine with very low power devices like remotes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 04:55:38 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

there were few of those around in the 70s, hence the AAAs were little use. Try and use your brain, small as it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 10:19:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Its got much worse now with li ion batterys, 18650 etc.
Those are sort of the dimensions but the protected ones
use the same number and the protection means that
they are no longer the same length. Bizarre.

What could be more bizarre than your obnoxious trolling, you 85-year-old
senile pest!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 13:55:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

AAAs weren't much use until alkalines came along as they held so little
energy.

They worked fine with very low power devices like remotes.

LMAO In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal 85-year-old senile pest?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Bull****.

hence the AAAs were little use.

More bull****.

reams of your desperate attempt to bull**** your way out
of your predicament, as always, flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 19:56:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

there were few of those around in the 70s,

Bull****.

hence the AAAs were little use.

More bull****.

reams of your desperate attempt to bull**** your way out
of your predicament, as always, flushed where it belongs

Did your pretentious "expertise in everything" just get exposed again, you
clinically insane, 85-year-old senile pest? LOL

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 10:56:35 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Bull****.

More bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 10:56:35 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Bull****.

More bull****.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 16:05:38 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 10:56:35 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Bull****.

More bull****.

bull****

wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 00:58:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bull****.

More bull****.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Just jump back into your roo's pouch, you retarded rodent!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 18:03:59 UTC+1, Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 00:58:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bull****.

More bull****.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Just jump back into your roo's pouch, you retarded rodent!

Stop being mean to rodents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 00:58:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bull****.

More bull****.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Just jump back into your roo's pouch, you retarded rodent!

He would be a marsupial, the males have a double headed penis and the
females two vaginas.

So it is quite in order to describe Speed as a big prick or a bunch of
****s.

GH

For the Old Computer types in here bert[_7_] UK diy 56 May 21st 18 12:57 PM
Battery Types? The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 July 2nd 09 02:44 PM
battery types Larry Jaques Metalworking 2 January 4th 09 08:37 PM
battery types dan Metalworking 0 January 4th 09 12:55 AM
FA - for all you old engine types - Adapter to use Jerry Can as fuel tank Mil Surplus William Noble Metalworking 7 August 3rd 07 06:22 AM