Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old battery types.

On 19/04/2019 20:41, wrote:
On 19/04/2019 18:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes the Bijou was 3 v with two cells in a cardboard sleeve. Fatter
than AA
but shorter than c
Â* Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips
and the
3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side, and the
lantern
batteries with the springs on the top often used by schoolchildren
with wire
wool to start a fire. grin.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?
Â* Brian

There's a danger of sounding like Maurice Chevalier but "yes, ah
remember zem well".
Eee lad, tell that to kids today and they won't believe thee.

even better were the big 1.5V cells we used to ppwer our model plane
glwoplugs tp start em.

Designed to power the heaters of battery radios,

soon replaced with rechargeable lead acid 2.2v. 'hunks'