Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default old battery types.

Yes why did we start calling batteries c and d and stopped calling them U11
and u2?
All very confusing to me at the time.
I also remember those little accumulators you could buy as well, they were
very hand for model boats later on.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 19/04/2019 18:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes the Bijou was 3 v with two cells in a cardboard sleeve. Fatter than
AA
but shorter than c
Then there were the pocket lamp batteries 4.5 v with brass strips and
the
3v cycle lamp batteries with one on top and one on the side, and the
lantern
batteries with the springs on the top often used by schoolchildren with
wire
wool to start a fire. grin.

Do you remember those big 1.5 cells used for lighting the gas?
Brian

My parents' gas fire had a battery holder, with a tube inside, that held
one D-cell and a dummy or two D-cells. It started with one plus dummy when
installed, but had to switch to two when we changed from town gas to
natural gas.

SteveW