vairxpert

Default wax free toilet seal - experiences?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:30:11 -0500, "Betsy" -0 wrote:

I disagree.

I just experienced for the second time a failure of the wax ring at the base
of the toilet.

Both times I was plunging like crazy (low flow toilet woes) and the seal
ruptured. This caused a flood of crappy water through the ceiling and
walls. You don't want to go there!

I too bought one but couldn't use it because it was for 3" pipe and HD
didn't have the 4". But I'll look for that one in the future, now that I
know it exists.

I installed one on my last bathroon remodel. It's easy to install and
will compensate for different floor heights. Considering it's a pvc
type of plastic with neoprene o-rings to seal out gases and a forming
gasket to prevent spash back, I can't see any reason why it would fail
in 10 years. Another nice thing is that it's reusable. If you have
to lift the toilet for any reason you're not stuck having to go out
and buy another wax ring and scraping all the old crap off.
I'm in the process of remodeling another one of my bathrooms right now
and it will also get the wax free kit.

The kit I bought from Menards included a separate housing for 4" pipe
if needed. I think I paid only $6.00 for the kit.

George