Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Today I had my first experience with rubber

"ARW" wrote in message
On 18/04/2019 13:29, wrote:
... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it
open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired
these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I
can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

If the person "holding the light" is interested and not a complaining ****
then it's a pleasure to show them (and explain as you do it) what you are
doing.

Dunno. With more complicated situations like with much technology,
it really isnt feasible to explain what you are doing when they dont
have a clue about the basics of the technology. Its too hard to give
them enough information about the technology in that situation.

I couldnt ever manage to come up with a simple explanation
of the difference between CB and amateur radio, let alone spell out
the difference between am, fm, ssb etc, let alone packet radio etc.

Have fun trying to spell out why you are redoing the phone cabling
with a VDSL2 broadband service to get the best speeds on the service
or even why they need to get someone to do that when the speed
they are getting is much worse than it should be given the distance
from the node to their house etc.