Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Today I had my first experience with rubber

.... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it
open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired
these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I
can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 05:29:00 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it
open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired
these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I
can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

Don't talk to me about rubber. In the middle of cutting 7mm hard rubber
tiles for the floor of teh workshop. Bloody hard work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't talk to me about rubber. [...]

Sounds like the first line of a joke about your conception.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2019 17:27, Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 05:29:00 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it
open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired
these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I
can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

Don't talk to me about rubber. In the middle of cutting 7mm hard rubber
tiles for the floor of teh workshop. Bloody hard work.

Jigsaw with a knife blade?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr 2019 15:27:55 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

Don't talk to me about rubber. In the middle of cutting 7mm hard
rubber tiles for the floor of teh workshop. Bloody hard work.

Sounds like a job for a bandsaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 19:54:12 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
If the person "holding the light" is interested and not a complaining
****

I try to be tactful.

then it's a pleasure to show them (and explain as you do it) what
you are doing.

Sometimes I even let them use my tools when theirs are absent or inadequate. I'm sure that never happens to you though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it
open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired
these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I
can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One other strange thing with rubber or something very like it. I have a
tuning knob. its outer surface appears to be knurled rubber. In fact its
like a very thin rubber tyre, but its stretching as it ages and is now too
big and won't stay on any more. OK I can cut it and glue it but that would
feel odd at the join. I think I may be able to get a new tyre or whole knob,
but the same thing will happen again. I do sometimes wonder if makers of
stuff ever think about what happens when things age and indeed presumably
absorb atmospheric and skin oils etc and then change shape. Did I mention
its also ballooning in the middle?
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 18/04/2019 17:27, Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 05:29:00 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it
open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired
these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I
can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

Don't talk to me about rubber. In the middle of cutting 7mm hard rubber
tiles for the floor of teh workshop. Bloody hard work.

Jigsaw with a knife blade?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape to make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to redo the connections.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:14:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape to make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to redo the connections.

Owain

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 05:52:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

If the person "holding the light" is interested and not a complaining ****
then it's a pleasure to show them (and explain as you do it) what you are
doing.

Dunno. With more complicated situations

You disagree, senile Rodent? That's a novelty! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:14:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape to
make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to
redo the connections.

Owain

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

NT

I think it tends to be synthetic rubber rather than natural rubber
nowadays, but I agree it makes much nicer flexible cables than PVC.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:14:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape to
make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to redo the connections.

Owain

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

NT

I prefer it for extension leads as it is more flexible than PVC so it lies
tidier, PVC doesnt always and can in some circumstances be a trip hazard
when it doesnt lie close to the ground.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 23:40:19 UTC+1, Marland wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:14:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape to
make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to redo the connections.

Owain

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

I prefer it for extension leads as it is more flexible than PVC so it lies
tidier, PVC doesnt always and can in some circumstances be a trip hazard
when it doesnt lie close to the ground.

GH

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and of course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape
make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to
redo the connections.

Owain

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

I prefer it for extension leads as it is more flexible than PVC so it
lies
tidier, PVC doesnt always and can in some circumstances be a trip hazard
when it doesnt lie close to the ground.

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and
of course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

Presumably its easier without the string and the cost of the
extra plastic over the cost of the string isnt enough to matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 12:23:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and
of course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

Presumably its easier without the string and the cost of the
extra plastic over the cost of the string isnt enough to matter.

IOW, you have NO idea, but you will be bull****ting anyway! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 April 2019 03:23:34 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and
of course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

Presumably its easier without the string

it isn't

and the cost of the
extra plastic over the cost of the string isnt enough to matter.

it isn't

But thanks for wasting our time.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and
of course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

Presumably its easier without the string

it isn't

and the cost of the
extra plastic over the cost of the string isnt enough to matter.

it isn't

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote: On Thursday, 18 April 2019 21:04:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years.

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape
to make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open
to redo the connections.

Owain

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

I prefer it for extension leads as it is more flexible than PVC so it lies
tidier, PVC doesn't always and can in some circumstances be a trip hazard
when it doesn't lie close to the ground.

GH

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and of
course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

NT

Some recently purchased 5 x 1mm flex (? intended for central heating
use) has plastic "string" at the centre. As did some 2 X 2.5mm rubber
covered flex I bought for ELV use. So the makers still know it is a
good idea.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 19:50:55 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

it isn't

and the cost of the
extra plastic over the cost of the string isnt enough to matter.

it isn't

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You certainly KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you abnormal
senile pest!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 15:46:25 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
It has changed its name slightly now: Exotic Automation and Supply. It
just doesn't sound the same...

It still sounds like they make robotic sex dolls though.

Owain

Bonding rubber to rubber GB UK diy 28 September 18th 16 07:45 PM
Any experience using silicone oil to soften rubber? bm[_2_] UK diy 10 March 13th 16 09:43 PM
Shaping rubber and rubber balls. T i m UK diy 20 August 27th 08 10:55 PM
Was: Shaping rubber and rubber balls: Update T i m UK diy 0 August 24th 08 04:36 PM
Rubber idler wheel rubber restoration Jeff Liebermann Electronics Repair 27 January 15th 08 05:19 AM