Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 22:26:48 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Poundland or Aldi for some new ones!

They go as high as +3.5 dioptres which should suit the OP although the
quality can leave a little to be desired. I know because I was trying to
find a cheap pair with a dioptre strength beyond this limit to let me get
a real close up view of microscopic SMD components. Strangely, none of
the usual places selling 'cheap reading glasses' had anything stronger. :-
(

I also have a problem trying to find anything weaker than 'strength
+1.0' to give me something better optimised for use with my desktop
computer monitor. I reckon, mild astigmatism allowing, that a dioptre
strength of +0.5 to +0.75 would be about as good as it gets for me.

I'm mildly short sighted so have been taking advantage of this for close
viewing simply by removing my distance vision spectacles but, at 69 yo,
my residual power of accommodation no longer has enough reserve to both
accommodate shorter viewing distances *and* apply a modicum of astigmatic
correction.

The effort to focus on the screen varies throughout the day and, as it
happens (mid afternoon), I'm having little difficulty right now in seeing
my computer screen sufficiently well enough to distinguish between a
colon and a semi-colon (viewing distance of 60 to 70 cms from a 23 inch
1920 by 1080 pixel monitor).

A suitable pair of cheap reading glasses would be very useful at times
when my visual cortex (perhaps more accurately described as a virtual
reality suite) is not at its peak performance during late evening and
early morning times. A cheap pair of basic reading glasses of suitable
power would off-load the focussing task to free up my accommodating power
to concentrate on the task of astigmatic correction during such periods.

These days, the trick of removing my distance vision glasses to read the
fine print that negates what the large print promises on the packaging of
any merchandise I'm checking out when shopping, doesn't work quite as
well as it used to do just a seemingly very few years ago. :-(

--
Johnny B Good