Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Given they are mostly plastic, then perspex polish is an idea. you used to
be able to get it in tubes.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.