Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

On 17/04/2019 13:10, Reentrant wrote:
On 17/04/2019 11:20, Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have
a scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one
of the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to
polish it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry,
used wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking
like frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

I've had good results with Polywatch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/polyWatch-Scratch-Remover-Repair-Polish/dp/B00E3T237C

Works well on watch "glass" which I'd guess is similar to plastic
specacle lenses.

Thanks. That looks worth a try.

Meanwhile, I followed a suggestion here to use toothpaste. That got me
back to the frosted glass effect, but smoother than before. Further
applications of Brasso has now more or less restored the shine, and it's
very difficult to see the blemish - it certainly doesn't jump out at me
like it did before. When I look at my computer screen through the
blemished bit of the lens, text is not quite so sharp as when looking
through other parts of the lens - but it's still readable.

To answer a few other questions . . . It's a single vision lens -
more or less spherical, about 3.5 diopters with a tiny bit of
astigmatism correction. The lenses are NOT coated - Specsavers wanted a
lot extra for an anti-glare coating, and I didn't see the point.
--
Cheers,
Roger