Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVC door wont open / unlock

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 19:06:21 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Its a door that is rarely used so not urgent.
Tried to unlock it and key would only turn about a quarter then jam.
tried all sorts of jiggling and a bit of force....no joy.
Next I tried snapping the lock, I wouldnt make a good housebreaker as it
took me an hour.

I am aware that it is the cam on the euro cylinder that operates the
mechanism and I used the cam on the end of a screwdriver but again a
partial turn and stop!

I have come to the conclusion that something in the door locking
mechanism has broken or jammed and was nothing to do with the euro lock.

My problem is the door is in locked mode so currently cannot access the
lock mechanism, within the `keyhole` I can see a metal piece that I
suspect the key cam would engage, but it wont budge.(it is difficult to
see properly)

So looks like I need to attempt to unscrew the hinges and hope I can get
the door off. (when the weather is better)

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

I don't know if you can drill the lock out. You can get abrasive drill bits that go on angle grinders.

Hinges might be unscrewable, but if it's a multipoint lock, as it likely is, you might find the locking hooks are engaged regardless.

If replacing the door becomes the only option, of course one can cut the door plastic away to get to the mechanism. Not the cheap way to do things though.

I've not tried this - don't know if you can cut out around the lock then fit a plastic/wood etc block to take a replacement lock, and add push plates to cover it all.

NT