Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default PVC door wont open / unlock

On 16/04/2019 21:54, ss wrote:
On 16/04/2019 20:14, Brian Reay wrote:
We had (something) like this happen- I say something like this, the
symptoms sound similar.

In our case, once we managed to gain access (a long story), I was able
to open unlock the door from the other side (inside) without an issue.
Â*From the outside, it was still broken. Then, we just called the
installers as it was still under warranty and they replaced the
eurolock and perhaps other parts (I wasn't there when the work was done).

Fortunately this is a 3rd side entrance door that we never use, but
definately not the euro lock as I have got that out. I am sure that
whatever the euro cam operates has broken or jammed but cant access that
part unless I get the door off :-(

The trouble is, the eurolock operates a vertical bar within the door
frame that then operates two or more locking points. Even if the bars
are steel (perhaps cadmium plated) they may be sliding against
aluminium, this can lead to high friction. Hinge fittings are normally
concealed but you can remove the entire pin with an angle grinder which
is at least short of the JCB option that someone else suggested.
Alternatively, you can try to lubricate the sticking points with an
aerosol oil spray such as WD-40. If you have another similar door that
you can look at, you may be able to guess where the sticking points
might be. Then, you could drill small-ish holes (say 3-6 mm dia) in the
inside face of the door stile, and liberally spray the insides with
WD-40. If you can still apply forces to the vertical bar you may be able
to sense when you are starting to get it to move.

This can be fairly extreme DIY, but if you like a challenge it may be
cheaper and more satisfying than "getting a man in".

It will be a big help if you have a similar (openable) door to look at
to try to understand how it works.