Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default SOT - electrical box connection design

On 15/04/2019 10:46, Steve Walker wrote:
On 15/04/2019 10:10, Robin wrote:
On 15/04/2019 08:26, Jeff Layman wrote:
Reading the recent thread about connecting coaxial inside a wall
plate, and how to make sure the coax outer was connected properly,
led to thought about these wall box connections in general.

Basically, why are the components fitted to the removable front
plate? Why aren't they fixed to the back of the box (whether that is
fitted on or in the wall)? It seems to me that as the wiring - and
that could be mains cable or coax - enters through the back of side
of the box, it could be connected directly to a switch, socket, or
whatever which would itself be screwed to the back of the box. The
front cover would just have holes in it to accept the 3-pin socket,
coax socket, switch, fuse, etc, and that would be fixed to the box in
the usual manner.

There seem to me several advantages to this. Firstly, you wouldn't
need three hands to hold the box front, cable, and screwdriver at the
same time. Secondly, The cables wouldn't get moved, crushed, or
distorted when the front is screwed on. Thirdly, you could test the
connections without the front of the box being on to make sure it all
worked before screwing the front on.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but can't see it.
Ceiling-mounted pull switches for bathrooms have this arrangement,
and, although not exactly the same (and now not used much), junction
boxes have always had the connectors fixed to the back of the box,
not to the removable front.

ISTM you only avoid the need for three hands if you screw the switch
etc to the back of the box /before/ you connect the cable(s).Â* That
seems to me to create challenges for (a) where cables are connected -
eg it's not a good idea to have them where they can be touched if the
front plate comes off or is loose and (b) cable management -
especially if cable enters through the back of the box.

It is worse if the cables are plastered in and can't be moved back and
forth:

a) it is easier to make the connections outside and then bend the excess
core length as you put the fitting in. You'd have less movement with
shorter lengths of cable and it'd likely be harder to get the longer
lengths out of the way while you work when the accessory is already in
place.

b) different manufacturers have the terminals in different places and
shorter lengths may not easily move to a different location upon
replacement.

c) if the end of the cable becomes damaged you have spare on the longer
lengths, although the faceplate is then closer to the wall while you are
working and it beomes harder.

Another alternative is modular units, where you can feed the cables
through the faceplate, mount it, connect the modules and then clip them
into the faceplate - which is easier than manouevring two cables at once
(for a double ethernet accessory for example).

Yup, I am a big fan of modular connections for signal grade stuff
(network, phone, TV, sat etc), easy to wire, easy to repair, and very
flexible without needing a big stock of obscure faceplates.

--
Cheers,

John.