Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SOT - electrical box connection design

Reading the recent thread about connecting coaxial inside a wall plate,
and how to make sure the coax outer was connected properly, led to
thought about these wall box connections in general.

Basically, why are the components fitted to the removable front plate?
Why aren't they fixed to the back of the box (whether that is fitted on
or in the wall)? It seems to me that as the wiring - and that could be
mains cable or coax - enters through the back of side of the box, it
could be connected directly to a switch, socket, or whatever which would
itself be screwed to the back of the box. The front cover would just
have holes in it to accept the 3-pin socket, coax socket, switch, fuse,
etc, and that would be fixed to the box in the usual manner.

There seem to me several advantages to this. Firstly, you wouldn't need
three hands to hold the box front, cable, and screwdriver at the same
time. Secondly, The cables wouldn't get moved, crushed, or distorted
when the front is screwed on. Thirdly, you could test the connections
without the front of the box being on to make sure it all worked before
screwing the front on.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but can't see it. Ceiling-mounted
pull switches for bathrooms have this arrangement, and, although not
exactly the same (and now not used much), junction boxes have always had
the connectors fixed to the back of the box, not to the removable front.

--

Jeff