Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 14/04/2019 19:18, ARW wrote:
On 14/04/2019 14:58, Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/04/2019 14:46, ARW wrote:
On 14/04/2019 13:51, ARW wrote:
On 13/04/2019 23:07, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/04/2019 23:29, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:

On 13/04/2019 11:42, NY wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
Nothing wrong with that. How often d'ye need a spare wheel,
these days.
Last time I needed one was in Whitstable in 2014. Time before
that was
probably in 1984 or so.

So, yes, a spare tyre is essential.

Indeed.

And I don't recall saying it wasn't essential. What I said was that a
*full*-*size* spare is not essential.

It's pretty damned essential when you are on a long journey, at
night, towing a trailer, heavily loaded and involving a ferry - the
lower speed and limited distance permitted for a space-saver would
prevent you getting to the ferry in the first place.

That's just reminded me to get a proper wheel brace. Gf spun her car
on the A64 and popped the back tyre on the central reservation
kerb[1]. The wheel brace snapped when I tried to use it so I had to
call the AA.

[1] Two other cars did the same thing within the next 3 minutes. One
of them ploughing right into the central reservation where 20
seconds earlier I had just removed the kids who had got out of the
second car.

I suspect that is was a diesel spillage to blame. The police just
said it was speed to blame and were only interested in a breath test.
Three cars doing about 40MPH do not suddenly leave the carriageway at
the same spot in less than 5 minutes do they unless there is
something wrong with the road?

Diesel, ice or a large quantity of water is all that springs to mind.

We have a bridge taking a road over a railway near here. The bridge
has been declared weak, but neither the council nor Network Rail will
pay to repair/upgrade it and so it has had a 7.5T weight limit placed
on it (rather silly as it has always provided the diversion route for
buses when one of the two main roads are closed for roadworks and the
last time it meant the local secondary schools having no buses to and
from them!)

To "enforce" the limit, width restrictions were put on both sides. The
first cold weather resulted in a whole series of crashes, as the width
restrictions prevented the gritters getting through and vehicles
coming over the steep bridge simply slid down the ice on the far side
and straight into a garden wall where the road bends.

Is your email valid?

Yes. Only just got round to my emails and replied - I've been finishing
of my hall ceiling replacement, so haven't checked them 'til now.

SteveW