Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Belgium CH Boilers

On 13/04/2019 21:43, newshound wrote:
On 13/04/2019 21:14, Marland wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 12/04/2019 18:08, Brian Reay wrote:
A slightly frivolous question.

I happened to be tidying up the DVD collection and came across A
Year in
Provence. A few of the 'one liners' ran through my mind and one which
has always perplexed me is that Belgium makes the best CH boilers.

I've never actually seen/heard of a Belgium boiler.

Are any imported into the UK? Is there any truth in this claim?

(I'm not planning to buy one.)

Probably on a par with asking people to name a famous Belgian - and the
only one they can think of is Poirot!

One that a lot of people know of but dont realise she was born in
Belgium
was the actress Audrey Hepburn.

GH

Didn't know that. Here's Wikipedia's Inventors and Engineers, no less
than three cryptographers.

Leo Hendrik Baekeland €“ inventor of bakelite
Alfred Belpaire €“ steam locomotive engineer
Robert Cailliau €“ information and control engineer
Joan Daemen €“ cryptographer (Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), Rijndael)
ZΓ©nobe Gramme €“ electrical engineer
John Joseph Merlin €“ inventor associated with Cox's timepiece; also
invented inline skates in 1759
Bart Preneel €“ cryptographer
Vincent Rijmen €“ cryptographer (Advanced Encryption Standard (AES),
Rijndael)
Adolphe Sax €“ inventor of the saxophone
Arthur Vierendeel €“ engineer and inventor of the Vierendeel truss
Egide Walschaerts €“ steam locomotive engineer and inventor of the
Walschaerts valve gear
AndrΓ© Waterkeyn €“ engineer, best known for creating the Atomium

My first though was Eddy Merckx. Even though I can't spell it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

I didn't know he was a Baron though. But I should have thought of Rijndael.

Andy