Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 14/04/2019 15:44, ARW wrote:
On 13/04/2019 17:17, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 13/04/2019 06:53, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 22:42, dennis@home wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:54, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH
on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe
even thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

Do they have the same load capability?

Has someone put a replacement tyre on the space savers rim and is it
the correct size for the tyre?

I would say, judging by the condition of the spare and the
accessories, that it has never been touched until yesterday.

That follows my experience. The Fabia I had was 14 months old when I
got it, and the spare was unused, and as I said elsewhere, identical
to the other 4 tyres, just on a steel wheel.

It has been suggested (by a bloke in the pub) that the wheel nuts are
different for alloy and steel wheels.

That certainly is a thing- bolts for alloys can be different lengths and
have a different shoulder, but I've been told the steel spare wheels
will have a hole shaped to suit the bolts that come with the alloys,
assuming the alloys are OE- and anyway, I presume your van has all
steels (or was this not your van?)