Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 13/04/2019 22:39, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/04/2019 17:19, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 13/04/2019 08:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on
it when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Perhaps some versions ship with a space saver, and the sticker gets
"fitted" regardless of what actual tyre / wheel you get. The speed
rating letter on the tyre will give you the actual answer.

^^^^^ This, I reckon.

Another possibility is a range of possible tyres for the car.

Some models within a range come with larger wheels and wider tyres (the
rolling diameter is often quite different and presumably the speedo is
calibrated appropriately).

Often those with the larger, wider tyres have a smaller spare that is
the same size as those on lesser models in the range and so they would
need to be speed limited.

It may be that they stick 50mph stickers on all the spares, as they
don't know which model they will end up as spares for?

SteveW

That wouldn't apply for my Fabia, as I'm pretty sure no other model used
the (quite wide, low profile) same size on a 16" wheel, but I do reckon
they just whack the stickers on them all.