Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On Friday, 12 April 2019 22:28:07 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

Is it the same weight? There has to be a reason for the 50mph sticker. If
the size is the same then that only leaves weight/thickness or possibly
speed rating as the remaining option. Have you checked the speed rating on
the tyre wall?

No doubt just penny pinching by the car makers.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

I have the same. On querying it with the garage, they told me that they use the same spares on all cars in the range and it wouldn't be the same size for a higher spec car. Basically told me not to worry.

Jonathan