Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 12/04/2019 23:42, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:

ARW wrote:

On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH
on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.
It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

Sounds as though someone has a bureaucratic rule saying all spare wheels
must have speed restriction sticker. Whether the manufacturer or the
evil insidious undemocratic EU. (In the latter case it's probably the
UK that proposed it.)

Or perhaps they don't think mere consumers can do up wheelnuts; but in
that case 5mph would be better limit.

Sometimes garages don't do up the wheelnuts.

Unlikely. They usually use their inpact air gun set to
maximum torque so that you need a 5 foot long bar on the
wheelbrace to get them off again.

Not 5' long. I got one of those extending
socket handles and it works fine for wheel nuts.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WINO...424c4dsEa bfQ