Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 12/04/2019 23:42, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:

ARW wrote:

On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH
on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.
It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

Sounds as though someone has a bureaucratic rule saying all spare wheels
must have* speed restriction sticker.* Whether the manufacturer or the
evil insidious undemocratic EU.* (In the latter case it's probably the
UK that proposed it.)

Or perhaps they don't think mere consumers can do up wheelnuts;* but in
that case 5mph would be better limit.

Sometimes garages don't do up the wheelnuts.

Unlikely. They usually use their inpact air gun set to
maximum torque so that you need a 5 foot long bar on the
wheelbrace to get them off again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"dennis@home" wrote in message
I have seen people struggle to undo wheel nuts but not tighten them.
Typically they only need about 55 ft-pounds.

Changing a wheel is a skill that doesn't seem to be taught to drivers
nowadays. When I was learning to drive in the early 80s, my dad taught me a
method that has stood me in good stead ever since:

- don't jack up the flat tyre to begin with, especially if it's on the
unbraked front wheel of a rear-wheel drive car; put the car in first gear
with the handbrake on to maximise the braking force on all the wheels

- stand in front of the wheel, facing backwards

- hold the wheelbrace in the hand that is further from the wheel (assume
it's the right hand for this explanation) and offer it up to the nut so its
offset is at about 9 o'clock (as if looking towards the wheel)

- use the left leg to push down on the crank, pulling up with the right hand
to counteract the tendency for the wheelbrace to pull off the nut; if
necessary give it a little kick from a height of a couple of inches if brute
force alone isn't enough to shift the nut

- once the nut has turned half a turn, raise the wheel and undo it the rest
of the way by hand; at this stage, check again beforehand to make absolutely
certain that the handbrake is on and the car is in gear - it's embarrassing
if the car rolls off the jack.

- crouch down facing the wheel with the knees apart, with each roughly knee
level with the outside of the tyre; use the inside of the knees as a fulcrum
to rest the outside of the wrists, so you can place your hands at about 4
and 8 o'clock and ease the wheel off the bolts without having to take the
whole weight on the arms and shoulders

- use the same technique to fit the new wheel

- having tightened the nuts in the order 1 3 2 4 (or some other
non-consecutive sequence) by hand, lower the wheel and tighten it the last
half turn by standing on the cranked edge of the wheelbrace, as you did for
the very first step, except stand at the back facing forwards and start with
the crank at 3 o'clock; the nuts should "creak" as you do this final
tightening

- check nuts after a few miles

All this is a *lot* easier with an old-fashioned starting-handle type
wheelbrace or a 6-way "spider" type, rather than a little L-shaped one that
is usually provided. Also, it's a lot quicker if the wheelbrace engages into
a nut on the jack, rather than using a handle that is attached (as is usual
with scissor jacks) when the handle usually gets in the way for the bottom
half of each turn.

Even using an L-shaped brace and a scissor jack with an attached
get-in-the-way handle, I managed to swap the front and rear tyres of my car,
using the spare as an intermediary, so a total of six wheelchanges, in about
half an hour. Mind you, my knuckles were scraped raw from hitting the ground
as I was raising/lowering the jack. I did that when I first got my "new" car
(which had about 18,000 miles when I bought it) because the tread on the
front, driving wheels was a lot lower than the rear ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message
Are you sure that its the same size? At first glance my spare appears to
be the same size but on closer inspection I have 17 inch wheels on the car
and the spare is 16 inch (with the restricted speed warning stickers).

The exact size of the wheel (ie the inside diameter of the tyre) isn't too
critical, but are you saying that the *outside* diameter of your spare-saver
tyre is smaller that the OD of the normal tyres? If so, why doesn't the car
go round in circles or tilt over at one corner?

I've always wondered how the famous Citroen with three wheels stunt was
done: I'd have thought the there was a very real risk that the hub with no
wheel/tyre would tend to touch the road (which is not good for it!) and the
car would be almost impossible to drive in a straight line - especially as
the opposite wheel would have less load on it if the car was leaning at the
corner with no wheel. I suppose the fact that it is possible on a Citroen
(with the implication that it's not on any other car) is down to its unique
suspension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Not likely to be balanced?

Surely when the tyre is originally fitted in the factory, or if it is ever
replaced because the spare becomes punctured, the wheel will be balanced
afterwards as an integral part of the tyre-fitting process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jac Brown wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Bill
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Sounds as though someone has a bureaucratic rule saying all spare wheels
must have speed restriction sticker. Whether the manufacturer or the
evil insidious undemocratic EU. (In the latter case it's probably the UK
that proposed it.)

I have had two Octavia's. One deciding factor was the full size spare.
Both had full size alloys with full sized tyres.

The last one had no stickers. The current one has 50mph stickers on the
spare. I have no idea why.

Perhaps because when changing a wheel, you're only changing one of a
pair instead of both? Don't they recommend swapping only pairs from
back to front (rather than, say, just rotating all four by one position
clockwise)?

Problem with that line is that no one else has 50mph stickers on their full
sized spares.

An Octavia owner in this thread had precisely that, apparently. And
even an older control Octavia that didn't. It is beginning to look
like a new convention, to be done even when inappropriate.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Andrew" wrote in message
Sometimes garages don't do up the wheelnuts.

Unlikely. They usually use their inpact air gun set to
maximum torque so that you need a 5 foot long bar on the
wheelbrace to get them off again.

I've never encountered wheelnut that I can't remove with a normal wheelbrace
that is supplied with the car. If my arms aren't strong enough I stand on
the end of the cranked part (maybe even give it a little kick to shift it
the first 1/2 turn).

The only time I ever had to call out the RAC for a puncture was when I
couldn't release the spare wheel from the wire cage below the boot, and that
was down to a crap design by Peugeot on the 306: the bolt that you need to
turn to wind down the cage doesn't have a proper hexagonal head the same
size as the wheelnuts. Instead it has a broad half-cylindrical notch into
which you put a flattened end of the wheelbrace as a very crude screwdriver.
If the bolt has seized up, because the thread is subject to all the water
that is thrown up off the road, it is impossible to exert enough downward
force on the "screwdriver" to prevent it jumping out of the head of the
bolt.

It took the RAC man about half an hour to free the bolt, using heat, grease
and a lot of swearing and imprecations about the parentage of the person who
designed it. I think he eventually freed it by filing flats on opposite
sides of the *round* head, so he could get a Mole grip to turn the head
enough to free it.

I then changed the wheel myself. I remember the RAC man bet me a fiver that
I couldn't do it as quickly as he would have been able (without using his
power wheelnut spanner), and I won ;-)

After that I kept the thread and nut lubricated with oil every month or so,
and slackened and tightened it a few turns to prevent it sticking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 12:13, NY wrote:
I've always wondered how the famous Citroen with three wheels stunt was
done: I'd have thought the there was a very real risk that the hub with
no wheel/tyre would tend to touch the road (which is not good for it!)
and the car would be almost impossible to drive in a straight line -
especially as the opposite wheel would have less load on it if the car
was leaning at the corner with no wheel. I suppose the fact that it is
possible on a Citroen (with the implication that it's not on any other
car) is down to its unique suspension.

Most FWD cars will run without one rear wheel

It's a matter of roll stiffness on the front suspension and ride height.

Enough of both and it can be done.

--
Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,

Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Speed rating costs more money. Is the letter which says the speed rating
the same?

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Speed rating costs more money. Is the letter which says the speed rating
the same?

Oh - and the load rating, being presumably a van?

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 08:03, Dozy Jim ... wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Are you sure that its the same size? At first glance my spare
appears to
be the same size but on closer inspection I have 17 inch wheels on
the car
and the spare is 16 inch (with the restricted speed warning stickers).

very true ...

He did say they were all R16 IIRC.

That doesn't mean the rims are the same width though

But the markings on the tyres do.

Which one is the rim width then Rod?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

--

Adam

Are you sure that its the same size? At first glance my spare appears to
be the same size but on closer inspection I have 17 inch wheels on the
car and the spare is 16 inch (with the restricted speed warning stickers).

The 17 & 16 refer to the diameter of the *wheels* not the tyres...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2019 21:54, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

One possibility is that the tyre has a spin handedness and the
replacement will only be correct when fitted on one side of the car. The
manual is erring on the side of caution.

I have had the usual thin spare solution but my present car has run
flats which are also only good for 50mph and limited range. Had one go a
couple of months back on a motorway - it was surprisingly uneventful
beyond lighting up a lamp on the dashboard to say tyre fail pull over.
Nothing like a blowout of old. My last such was in 2001.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2019 23:44, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:

ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

Is it the same weight? There has to be a reason for the 50mph sticker. If
the size is the same then that only leaves weight/thickness or possibly
speed rating as the remaining option. Have you checked the speed
rating on
the tyre wall?
No doubt just penny pinching by the car makers.

Nothing wrong with that. How often d'ye need a spare wheel, these days.
Last time I needed one was in Whitstable in 2014. Time before that was
probably in 1984 or so.

How often? 7 fast and slow punctures on the last car in 6.5 years and
48k miles, it was on 255/35r19Y tyres. 2 slows were the finish inside
the alloy corroding resulting in the bead not seating and sealing when
the wheels were older. Cost £22 a wheel to have the paint/finish whizzed
off, repainted and the tyres refitted and balanced. 5 foreign body
punctures... assorted nails and wood screws. 1 tyre was written off but
was just about shot anyway. 4 were central tread area damage and could
be repaired. The tyres lasted about 12-14000 miles for 4 so whenever I
fitted 4 new tyres (had to swap them in 4s being 4wd) I kept the best 2
for use in emergencies. With one written off at just legal, an old just
legal was used for about 6 weeks till I got 4 new tyres.

I'd only had the current car 4 days when I got a nail in the edge of the
tread/sidewall. Not repairable. New tyre needed at £192 but as all had
only done less 3k miles, only 1 tyre needed.

When I had cars where 4 premium tyres cost under £200 the set, I never
had punctures. Buy a car with low profile Y rated tyres and I can only
assume the tyres are magnetic and attract nails and screws! :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2019 21:54, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

I had this on my Fabia vRS. Four alloys, one steel spare, five identical
Conti Sport Contact 2 tyres, and a 50 mph sticker. I just presumed that
maybe some cars came with a spacesaver and they stuck the sticker on all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 06:53, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 22:42, dennis@home wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:54, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

Do they have the same load capability?

Has someone put a replacement tyre on the space savers rim and is it
the correct size for the tyre?

I would say, judging by the condition of the spare and the accessories,
that it has never been touched until yesterday.

That follows my experience. The Fabia I had was 14 months old when I got
it, and the spare was unused, and as I said elsewhere, identical to the
other 4 tyres, just on a steel wheel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 08:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Perhaps some versions ship with a space saver, and the sticker gets
"fitted" regardless of what actual tyre / wheel you get. The speed
rating letter on the tyre will give you the actual answer.

^^^^^ This, I reckon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:02:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

In my van?

At least one puncture a year.

I only got the car at Christmas

you've got generous friends

Nope, he was a good boy that year and didnt **** too many per
day so santa decided that he wasnt as bad as he used to be.

PLEEEEASE, spare everyone your senile attempts at "humour", senile
Ozzietard! tsk

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 19:44:16 +1000, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Perhaps because when changing a wheel, you're only changing one of a
pair instead of both? Don't they recommend swapping only pairs from
back to front (rather than, say, just rotating all four by one position
clockwise)?

Problem with that line is that no one else has 50mph stickers on their full
sized spares.

Problem with your line is that you are obviously talking bull****, yet
again!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 20:49:07 +0100
ARW wrote:

Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on
it when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

The spare runs in either direction, the regular tyres will only run in
one direction?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on
it when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

The spare runs in either direction, the regular tyres will only run in
one direction?

https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthre...is-it-an-issue
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on
it when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

The spare runs in either direction, the regular tyres will only run in
one direction?

And to keep Rod happy ...

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dri.../tyre-rotation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

ARW wrote:

On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Not 5' long. I got one of those extending
socket handles and it works fine for wheel nuts.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WINO...424c4dsEa bfQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

--

Adam

New tyres should always be 'run in' and limited to about
50 mph anyway, so the chances are this spare will never
have been used on the road and could be mixed on the same
axle with a part-worn tyre with different wet road
grip, hence the speed warning on the spare.

I guess the manufacturer is just covering their legal
ass if a crash happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
dennis@home wrote

I have seen people struggle to undo wheel nuts but not tighten them.
Typically they only need about 55 ft-pounds.

Changing a wheel is a skill that doesn't seem to be taught to drivers
nowadays.

True, must admit that I forgot to do that with the two I taught lately.

When I was learning to drive in the early 80s, my dad taught me a method
that has stood me in good stead ever since:

- don't jack up the flat tyre to begin with, especially if it's on the
unbraked front wheel of a rear-wheel drive car; put the car in first gear
with the handbrake on to maximise the braking force on all the wheels

- stand in front of the wheel, facing backwards

- hold the wheelbrace in the hand that is further from the wheel (assume
it's the right hand for this explanation) and offer it up to the nut so
its offset is at about 9 o'clock (as if looking towards the wheel)

- use the left leg to push down on the crank, pulling up with the right
hand to counteract the tendency for the wheelbrace to pull off the nut; if
necessary give it a little kick from a height of a couple of inches if
brute force alone isn't enough to shift the nut

I prefer to use one of these.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WINO...424c4dsEa bfQ

- once the nut has turned half a turn, raise the wheel and undo it the
rest of the way by hand; at this stage, check again beforehand to make
absolutely certain that the handbrake is on and the car is in gear - it's
embarrassing if the car rolls off the jack.

- crouch down facing the wheel with the knees apart, with each roughly
knee level with the outside of the tyre; use the inside of the knees as a
fulcrum to rest the outside of the wrists, so you can place your hands at
about 4 and 8 o'clock and ease the wheel off the bolts without having to
take the whole weight on the arms and shoulders

- use the same technique to fit the new wheel

I prefer to actually sit on the ground when putting the new wheel on.

- having tightened the nuts in the order 1 3 2 4 (or some other
non-consecutive sequence) by hand, lower the wheel

I wiggle the wheel when doing the last of the nut turns up finger tight.

and tighten it the last half turn by standing on the cranked edge of the
wheelbrace, as you did for the very first step, except stand at the back
facing forwards and start with the crank at 3 o'clock;

I never bothered when using the traditional 2 crossed wheel braces.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/dw...sh=1000&sm=fit

the nuts should "creak" as you do this final tightening

- check nuts after a few miles

All this is a *lot* easier with an old-fashioned starting-handle type
wheelbrace or a 6-way "spider" type, rather than a little L-shaped one
that is usually provided. Also, it's a lot quicker if the wheelbrace
engages into a nut on the jack, rather than using a handle that is
attached (as is usual with scissor jacks) when the handle usually gets in
the way for the bottom half of each turn.

I now have a socket ratchet handle and a socket that
fits the flattened end of the long screw on the jack.
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media...mage_16073.jpg

I got a couple of small bottle jacks from the garage/boot
sales for peanuts but they are too tall to fit under the Getz.

Corse now I have gone to all that trouble, I wont be getting any more flats.

Even using an L-shaped brace and a scissor jack with an attached
get-in-the-way handle, I managed to swap the front and rear tyres of my
car, using the spare as an intermediary, so a total of six wheelchanges,
in about half an hour. Mind you, my knuckles were scraped raw from hitting
the ground as I was raising/lowering the jack. I did that when I first got
my "new" car (which had about 18,000 miles when I bought it) because the
tread on the front, driving wheels was a lot lower than the rear ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Jac Brown wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Bill
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
[...]

Trouble with that line is that Adam's Octavia wasnt bought new and
isnt that new. Tho I spose the previous owner might have got the
spare from someone with a new Octavia who didnt like the 50mph
limit and bought another spare that didnt have the stickers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Andrew" wrote in message
Sometimes garages don't do up the wheelnuts.

Unlikely. They usually use their inpact air gun set to
maximum torque so that you need a 5 foot long bar on the
wheelbrace to get them off again.

I've never encountered wheelnut that I can't remove with a normal
wheelbrace that is supplied with the car. If my arms aren't strong enough
I stand on the end of the cranked part (maybe even give it a little kick
to shift it the first 1/2 turn).

Yeah, I've had to jump on the wheel brace a few times before
I got the extending one with a wheel fitted by a tyre place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Speed rating costs more money. Is the letter which says the speed rating
the same?

Oh - and the load rating, being presumably a van?

No its not, its his own car that he bought over xmas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on
it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

Are you sure that its the same size? At first glance my spare appears
be the same size but on closer inspection I have 17 inch wheels on the
car
and the spare is 16 inch (with the restricted speed warning stickers).

very true ...

He did say they were all R16 IIRC.

That doesn't mean the rims are the same width though

But the markings on the tyres do.

Which one is the rim width then Rod?

Irrelevant when the spare has the same marking as the non spares.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 05:38:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH the 85-year-old senile asshole's latest troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 05:46:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yeah, I've had to jump

Nobody gives a ****, senile asshole!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 05:18:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Not 5' long. I got one of those extending

Nobody gives a ****, senile idiot!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 05:43:22 +1000, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

An Octavia owner in this thread had precisely that, apparently. And
even an older control Octavia that didn't. It is beginning to look
like a new convention, to be done even when inappropriate.

Trouble with that line is that

The only problem here is that you are a self-important, self-opinionated,
pathological, senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 05:21:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Not likely to be balanced?

Mine always are.

Your senile "mind" certainly isn't, senile idiotic troll!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 12/04/2019 20:49, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

New tyres should always be 'run in' and limited to about 50 mph anyway,

My manual says nothing about that.

so the chances are this spare will never have been used on the road and
could be mixed on the same
axle with a part-worn tyre with different wet road
grip, hence the speed warning on the spare.

Doesnt explain why no other standard spare has those stickers.

I guess the manufacturer is just covering their legal
ass if a crash happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 11:42, NY wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
Nothing wrong with that. How often d'ye need a spare wheel, these days.
Last time I needed one was in Whitstable in 2014. Time before that was
probably in 1984 or so.

I've probably needed my spare on average once every two or three years,
typically due to finding the car with a flat tyre as I'm about to set
off, or being forced off the road into a kerb by an oncoming car or
tractor that should have given way to me when it is overtaking parked
cars on its side of the road. Normally it's nails that I pick up -
usually just too far from the tread towards the sidewall to be repaired.

The last time was last summer with a tyre that had about 3000 miles use
on it. An oncoming tractor pulled out to overtake parked cars and I had
to slam the brakes on and swerve to the left because he still kept
coming towards me and didn't even stop (if I'd got his number I'd have
reported him). The sharp edge of the tarmac was about 2" higher than the
earth at the side of the road, and it gashed the inside tyre wall.

I had that happen in Ireland. Flew to Belfast and drove to the West
Coast and just South of the border for a funeral. After the funeral,
everyone went for a meal in Bundoran and after that my wife and I
decided to go back to visit the grave.

One the way to the cemetery, a car coming the other way swung well over,
as there was a learner in front of us, but they swung too far, panicked,
overcompensated and swung over onto my side of the road. In avoiding
being hit, I gashed the tyre on the edge of the tarmac.

Being a brand-new hire car, it had no spare. We were stranded in the
middle of nowhere for two and a half hours, while it went dark and I had
to stand in the rain, on the road, as where we'd got the car out of the
way, it wasn't visible and we didn't know when the recovery truck would
arrive.

We were taken back to the house we were staying in - also in the middle
of nowhere, so we were totally stranded. The tyre places were shut, so
our car was left outside one overnight.

We got the car back at 11:30 am and had to leave within 15 minutes to
get back to Belfast in time for our flight home.

So no visit to the cemetery, a long, wet wait, being stranded in the
house with no food in, the recovery costs and a tyre replacement cost
double what I could have got at a place that I knew from previous
experience. And all because there was no spare.

So, yes, a spare tyre is essential.

Indeed. I have added one to my car (a Zafira B, which didn't have one or
a carrier for one, yet had the space reserved in the floor-pan for a
full sized one!)

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I had no punctures at all on my bicycle, despite going off road all the
time (on road tyres) as a teenager. My sister had a puncture, so
borrowed my bike for her paper round and got a puncture! Once I was
driving, I drove for years without a puncture. When, for the first time,
I replaced all four tyres at the same time, I got a bolt through one
within a week.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2019 23:43, Bill wrote:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Sounds as though someone has a bureaucratic rule saying all spare
wheels must have* speed restriction sticker.* Whether the manufacturer
or the evil insidious undemocratic EU.* (In the latter case it's
probably the UK that proposed it.)

I have had two Octavia's. One deciding factor was the full size spare.
Both had full size alloys with full sized tyres.

My previous car was a Focus mk2, bought at 11 months old. The garage had
two and we decided on one, but asked them to swap the spare with the
other car. We actually chose the skinny spare, as the well was shallow
and to fit the full-sized spare, they put a rigid foam spacer under the
carpet, so losing 2 or 3 inches of boot depth - and as we had a double
trolley, plus a single buggy (the single in case we wanted to take one
child each to different shops or whatever), we couldn't spare the space.

SteveW

ATTN: Rod Speed - speed limits in Australia Rod Speed UK diy 21 May 21st 17 06:52 PM
Rod Speed - speed limits in Australia Brian Gaff UK diy 2 May 21st 17 11:15 AM
speed limits fred[_8_] UK diy 19 January 18th 13 09:37 AM
Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits Pete C. Metalworking 18 February 28th 10 01:38 AM
Forced Hot Water Heating System: What Temp Limits,, And What Should Pressure Be At Limits ? m Ransley Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 10:17 PM