Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers (UK)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 13:17:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/13/2019 10:26 AM, wrote:

Why is holding a phone any more distracting than holding a cup of
coffee, a cigarette or a hamburger? For that matter what could be more
distracting than trying to see what your kids are doing in the back
seat where the law now makes them sit? We are "safetying" our selves
to death. I don't do any of this since I don't carry a phone but I do
question a silly law.

There are huge differences depending on circumstances.
Cruising on a two lane with not much traffic and calling home to ask
what's for dinner takes little brain power. Same with a cup of coffee.

Eating a burger in heavy traffic can be a distraction if you have to
maneuver quickly.

Talking to a customer on the phone and trying to give them tech support
on a serious problem in heavy fast moving traffic is a much greater
distraction.

The law is not silly in every condition.

The problem is the law has no "conditions".
In some states they could write you a ticket for using a phone,
sitting at a light. None talk about traffic conditions or will try to
decide what your conversation was about.
If the word comes down, "we aren't writing enough phone tickets", cops
will write tickets.