Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers (UK)

On 13/04/2019 03:59, Rod Speed wrote:

"A K" wrote in message
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 12:23:00 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile
- but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the
phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

that's a great idea.

Bull**** it is when it can't work out whether it
is the driver or a passenger using the phone.

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

They are distracted if they are holding the phone to their ear, which

is what this action is designed to detect.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/04/2019 11:06, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 13/04/2019 03:02, A K wrote:
[...]

Glad you can see the sense in it.

There is no sense in it when it can't even work out if the driver
is using it or a passenger is. And its a bare faced pig ignorant
lie that using a phone is as bad as being a drunk driver.

The evidence defeats your claim.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 10:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

Hang up and drive!

https://katv.com/news/local/arkansas...-while-driving

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2019 6:10 AM, Bod wrote:

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

They are distracted if they are holding the phone to their ear, which

is what this action is designed to detect.
One of the problems is that people like Rod Speed believe what they want

to and not what has been proven true.

There is a huge difference between talking on the phone and talking to a
passenger. The phone takes a bigger chunk of your attention and you are
less likely to stop talking if a traffic situation needs your immediate
attention.

It always the other guy, I know what I'm doing!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:07:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:39:52 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
om...
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news:5ug1be9cc5u6ipee173ff2b69a0dv6kn2i@4ax .com...
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:21:54 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Have to remember phones talk to base by itself for location
regardless.

But easy to distinguish between that and voice calls and texts.

How about the data dumps the car does?

Indeed, the entire thing is completely hare brained.
And what the satnav is doing as well.

These days that link is being used for a lot more than just
phone calls and texts. I was reading an article in one of my
electronic trade rags that says we ain't seen nothing yet.
The protocol is in place for virtually constant communication
between cars and all sorts of things, feeding real time
information to and from your on board computers.

Particularly with the satnav.

Personally I think I want to find that antenna and
cut the wire or wrap the antenna in aluminum foil.

I don't, I find the satnav alone is very convenient.
I was doing a run into our state capital by car
with me supposed to catch the train back to
my home town and it was interesting to watch
google maps using the traffic data to update
the arrival time. It was spot on. The stupid
thing on the mate's Nokia was way out and
never got updated on the arrival time.

I don't even carry a phone.

Mad. We now coordinate the garage/yard sale run
on the phone, normally talking to each other for the
full couple of house between waiting for the first one
to open and the last one to finish and being able to
tell each other about extra ones that didn't bother
to advertise in the local paper for $40 and didn't
use facebook to advertise it, just put a sign on the
street power or light pole etc. I have my own local
facebook group where I post all the ads from the
local paper and the local buy sell swap groups
and where anyone can post their garage/yard sale
ad and update that as they open etc. The paper
discourages advertisers from including the
street number so they don't get people showing
up the day before while they are setting up etc.
So I add the street number when that becomes
obvious when it opens.

Google maps on the phone does a hell of a lot better
than the dedicated satnavs in the car etc do too,
particularly with the traffic information and where
a serious car crash has produced a traffic jam etc.

I don't use nav in the car either. I know where
I am going and if I don't I will look at a map.

Mad, satnav leaves maps for dead.

Kids there used to be these things called maps ;-)

I used them before satnavs showed up and satnavs leave them for dead.

I lived "connected" during pretty much all of my
working life (24/7) and now I like being off the grid.

Mad when out driving.

I don't want to be constantly available

Don't have to be and still use it for what it does best.

and I certainly don't need some woman
in my car telling me where to go.

Stupid to use a physical map now.

Maybe you just can't look at a map and remember where you are going.

Corse I can and did before satnavs showed up.

Around here I could draw a map.

Irrelevant to whats most useful in places you arent familiar with.

I worked 15 years on the road around
here and I know where things are.

Pity about where you havent done that.

I think we have become dumber as a society
because we depend too much on technology.

You're wrong about that too.

If you need a nav to find a place where you have the address, either
your addressing scheme is ****ed up or you don't understand it.

Or its much more convenient to say 'hey siri go to 24 Jones Ave' and
have it tell you every turn and route you around traffic congestion
than to fart around with a paper map, luddite dinosaur.

The reality is, I don't go that many places that I don't know how to
get to.

Even just 1 or two a year is worth doing the right way when its free,
luddite dinosaur.

Nothing is free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:04:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 20:26:43 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/12/2019 11:03 AM, wrote:
How about the data dumps the car does? These days that link is being
used for a lot more than just phone calls and texts. I was reading an
article in one of my electronic trade rags that says we ain't seen
nothing yet. The protocol is in place for virtually constant
communication between cars and all sorts of things, feeding real time
information to and from your on board computers.

I swear my next new (to me) car will be a 1960 Valiant. I understand the
225 ci slant six pretty well.

My 97 Honda has the perfect amount of electronics.
The ABS controller, fuel injection and an MP3 player.

Only for a luddite dinosaur. Its useful to have a decent
OBD2 system that tells you when a sensor has failed
so you can just replace it with a high certainty of being
the fault etc. And handy for all but luddite dinosaurs
to have Apple Carplay and Google Auto so that its
easy to have your phone use the main dash screen
and handy to have a decent dash screen so you can
see the various stuff that you want to have it show too.

Handy to have full 360 cameras for parking instead
of farting around with external mirrors for that and
to make it much easier to see see where the corners
are when parking, particularly with the modern small
cars which slope the front down so fast that even
a tall person cant see any of it when sitting in the
drivers seat. And to have those cameras act as
dashcams all around when the car is moving
and as surveillance cameras when its parked too.
And to be a reversing camera so you don't run
over little kids when backing etc.

The VW Golf even has a fancy system which helps
with reversing a small trailer when none of the trailer is
visible out the back window, particularly when its empty.

And a decent cruise controls which keeps a specified
distance from the car in front and which allows you
to specify that distance by speed so that it still works
when inching forward in a traffic jam and when tearing
along the freeway etc.

Also handy to keep track of fuel consumption and
the fuel level so you can see at a glance how far you
can go till you need to fill again and ideally show you
the petrol stations in front of you that you can make
it to and the price they are selling petrol for too.

Some of us just know how to drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
[...]

Why is holding a phone any more distracting than holding a cup of
coffee, a cigarette or a hamburger? For that matter what could be more
distracting than trying to see what your kids are doing in the back
seat where the law now makes them sit? We are "safetying" our selves
to death. I don't do any of this since I don't carry a phone but I do
question a silly law.
I really think this phone thing started back when "car phones" were
rare and expensive and people without phones were ****ed about it.

BTW I do agree about texting. The mere fact that you are typing on
that screen or banging text out on a numeric keypad means you are not
driving. I would also question using your phone for a NAV,. The NAV in
my wife's Lincoln will not take any kind of input while the car is
moving even if the passenger is doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:06:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

that's a great idea.

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.
Glad you can see the sense in it.

There is no sense in it when it

Obviously people a lot smarter than you see it differently, senile
know-it-all.

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Won't it be fun when the third world takes over and camel jockeys are
tasked with keeping the navsats up? Maybe the Israelis will help. After
all they are fully capable of putting a pile of trash on the moon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/13/2019 07:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/13/2019 6:10 AM, Bod wrote:

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

They are distracted if they are holding the phone to their ear,

which is what this action is designed to detect.
One of the problems is that people like Rod Speed believe what they want

to and not what has been proven true.

There is a huge difference between talking on the phone and talking to a
passenger. The phone takes a bigger chunk of your attention and you are
less likely to stop talking if a traffic situation needs your immediate
attention.

It always the other guy, I know what I'm doing!

I'm not that big on passengers either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:53:03 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/12/2019 09:31 PM, wrote:
If you need a nav to find a place where you have the address, either
your addressing scheme is ****ed up or you don't understand it.
The reality is, I don't go that many places that I don't know how to
get to.

I would have killed for a GPS and cellphone when I was driving OTR,
particularly one of the Rand McNally versions that understands trucks.

Nothing like finally finding a pay phone where you can park an eighteen
wheeler, calling the consignee, and getting directions from the front
office ditz, which you transcribe on your pad. Halfway there you realize
the route that works for her Pinto ain't working for you.

I tended to collect city maps and had a big Tupperware container full. I
saw a cheap briefcase in a dumpster and figured it would be an upgrade.
Upon closer inspection I found the previous owner mush have been caught
short and had **** in it. Dumpster diving ain't all it's cracked up to be.

If I was delivering pizzas or something NAV might be useful but I
seldom go anywhere I have not been before and when I do I just print
out a map before I go if it is not obvious. The addressing scheme here
is very logical and usually just with the street name and number I can
drive right to it. The only thing that bothers me is people who do
not have the number on their building. The fire department gripes
about the same thing and occasionally they go around hanging paper for
it. It is the law. I don't have the 18 wheeler problem in my Honda but
I did drive a truck,. I understand what you are saying. You don't want
to be 2 turns down a dead end street with no way to turn around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2019 12:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

I would have killed for a GPS and cellphone when I was driving OTR,
particularly one of the Rand McNally versions that understands trucks.

Nothing like finally finding a pay phone where you can park an eighteen
wheeler, calling the consignee, and getting directions from the front
office ditz, which you transcribe on your pad. Halfway there you realize
the route that works for her Pinto ain't working for you.

There were also the drivers too cheap to get the proper device and
cheaped out on the standard Garmin. I worked near a low bridge and
could point them out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:06:37 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
"A K" wrote in message
[...]

Statistics say otherwise.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-acci...tatistics.html

Andy

I know many cell phones user who got into accidents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing even remotely like as distracted as when they are drunk.

which is what this action is designed to detect.

And the reality is that it can't work out if its the driver or a
passenger who is using a phone, so its completely useless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
On 13/04/2019 03:02, A K wrote:
[...]

There is no evidence that holding a phone while driving has
the same effect on the driving ability as being drunk, liar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marius Josipovic wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

Hang up and drive!

Go and **** yourself.

https://katv.com/news/local/arkansas...-while-driving

Texting isnt talking on the phone, ****wit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/13/2019 6:10 AM, Bod wrote:

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

They are distracted if they are holding the phone to their ear, which

is what this action is designed to detect.
One of the problems is that people like Rod Speed believe what they want

to and not what has been proven true.

There is a huge difference between talking on the phone and talking to a
passenger.

And yet its legal to use a handsfree when driving.

The phone takes a bigger chunk of your attention

Oh bull**** with a hands free.

and you are less likely to stop talking if a traffic situation needs your
immediate attention.

More bull****.

It always the other guy, I know what I'm doing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:07:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

news:vfu1be1ccua30ucap55gtftvdcnqgm8gvl@4ax. com...

wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

That's bull**** too. It costs no more to use it for that
when you already have the phone for other reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:04:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On 04/12/2019 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

Got nothing to do with know how to drive you pathetic excuse for a bull****
artist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed.

I really think this phone thing started back when "car phones" were
rare and expensive and people without phones were ****ed about it.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.
They actually do it because they find it convenient. Same with
talking on the phone when walking around etc too.

BTW I do agree about texting. The mere fact that you are typing on that
screen or banging text out on a numeric keypad means you are not driving.

But not if you are doing the texting the best way, having the
phone read you the text and allows you to dictate the reply etc.

I would also question using your phone for a NAV,.

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

The NAV in my wife's Lincoln will not take any kind of input
while the car is moving even if the passenger is doing it.

Mindlessly ****ed by design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Much like your brain.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 04:18:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

There is no sense in it when it can't even work out if the driver
is using it or a passenger is. And it¢s a bare faced pig ignorant
lie that using a phone is as bad as being a drunk driver.

The evidence defeats your claim.

There is no evidence that holding a phone while driving has
the same effect on the driving ability as being drunk, liar.

BOTH increase the risk of accidents, senile asshole!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
[...]

There can't be any reliable statistics on the non phone distractions.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-acci...tatistics.html

I know many cell phones user who got into accidents.

None of the ones I know have had an accident using one and
we spend hours on the phone during the garage/yard sale run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag
or even get an usenet client working properly, Trump spawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 9:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/12/2019 06:27 PM, wrote:
Maybe you just can't look at a map and remember where you are going.
Around here I could draw a map. I worked 15 years on the road around
here and I know where things are.

I could draw a map but it wouldn't have much in the way of street names.

I could draw a map of the area I grew up in. It would lack the same
error that appeared on almost all city maps.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"On the other hand, the Bible contains much that is relevant today, like
Noah taking 40 days to find a place to park." [Curtis McDougall]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
[...]

How many crashes happen with kids in the car?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
[...]

How "drunk"? 0.05? 0.08? .25?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 9:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger

That's not true.

1. You're in the same place, not (mentally) in some other place where
that other person is.

2. The passenger sees what you see and can know when to be quiet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"On the other hand, the Bible contains much that is relevant today, like
Noah taking 40 days to find a place to park." [Curtis McDougall]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 04:24:42 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message

..

Even just 1 or two a year is worth doing the right way when its free,
luddite dinosaur.

Nothing is free.

That's bull**** too. It costs no more to use it for that
when you already have the phone for other reasons.

I have a phone to use as a phone, it doesn't have a NAV, broadband
capability or anything like that, it is very cheap to own,
particularly when it is sitting at home but if I bought a "smart
phone" with a data plan, GPS and all the "free ****" you are talking
about it would cost hundreds of dollars for the phone and way more per
year to have.
Nothing is free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 10:26 PM, wrote:

[snip]

My 97 Honda has the perfect amount of electronics. The ABS controller,
fuel injection and an MP3 player.

No touchscreens (which are harder to use than buttons when you should be
looking at the road. You can't find the "buttons" by touch.). No social
media or smartphone interfaces (I don't want those).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"On the other hand, the Bible contains much that is relevant today, like
Noah taking 40 days to find a place to park." [Curtis McDougall]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 04:49:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

Said by one who bull****s all the time. How often are you in the bag
when you post anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/19 1:20 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Marius Josipovic wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

Hang up and drive!

Go and **** yourself.

but don't do it while driving.

https://katv.com/news/local/arkansas...-while-driving

--
"Man created God in his own image."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger

That's not true.

Easy to claim.

1. You're in the same place, not (mentally) in some other place where that
other person is.

In my case I am normally talking to my mate in his
car when I am in my car and we are both driving
up and down the street trying to work out which of
the houses the garage/yard sale will actually be at.

They mostly dont list their street number to
avoid someone showing up the day before etc.

2. The passenger sees what you see and can know when to be quiet.

Yes, but that is hardly ever reality and the law allows
you to use the phone hands free so the law clearly
doesnt consider that that is an important factor.