Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers (UK)

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

that's a great idea.

Bull**** it is when it can't work out whether it
is the driver or a passenger using the phone.

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

They are distracted if they are holding the phone to their ear, which
is what this action is designed to detect.

Why is holding a phone any more distracting than holding a cup of
coffee, a cigarette or a hamburger? For that matter what could be more
distracting than trying to see what your kids are doing in the back
seat where the law now makes them sit? We are "safetying" our selves
to death. I don't do any of this since I don't carry a phone but I do
question a silly law.

Agreed.

I really think this phone thing started back when "car phones" were
rare and expensive and people without phones were ****ed about it.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.
They actually do it because they find it convenient. Same with
talking on the phone when walking around etc too.

BTW I do agree about texting. The mere fact that you are typing on that
screen or banging text out on a numeric keypad means you are not driving.

But not if you are doing the texting the best way, having the
phone read you the text and allows you to dictate the reply etc.

I would also question using your phone for a NAV,.

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

The NAV in my wife's Lincoln will not take any kind of input
while the car is moving even if the passenger is doing it.

Mindlessly ****ed by design.

Much like your brain.

--
Bod