Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Spare tyres and maximum speed limits

On 12/04/2019 21:54, ARW wrote:
On 12/04/2019 21:14, Tim+ wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:49:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Got a flat. A simple swap, but the spare has 50MPH stickers on it.

So why would the spare wheel have a maximum speed limit of 50MPH on it
when it has the same sized tyre on it as the flat one? The only
difference I can see is that the spare is not an alloy wheel.

It's a space saver. Narrower width, smaller diameter and maybe even
thinner carcase. Although it may not be obvious, it IS
lighter/thinner/weaker than a *real* spare tyre

Having a problem with the words "same sized tyre"?

The tyres on the car and the spare all say 195/65R15.

I had this on my Fabia vRS. Four alloys, one steel spare, five identical
Conti Sport Contact 2 tyres, and a 50 mph sticker. I just presumed that
maybe some cars came with a spacesaver and they stuck the sticker on all.