Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers (UK)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:07:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:39:52 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
om...
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news:5ug1be9cc5u6ipee173ff2b69a0dv6kn2i@4ax .com...
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:21:54 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers
using
devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the
technology
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their
mobile -
but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger
using
the
phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore
flash
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector
will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

Have to remember phones talk to base by itself for location
regardless.

But easy to distinguish between that and voice calls and texts.

How about the data dumps the car does?

Indeed, the entire thing is completely hare brained.
And what the satnav is doing as well.

These days that link is being used for a lot more than just
phone calls and texts. I was reading an article in one of my
electronic trade rags that says we ain't seen nothing yet.
The protocol is in place for virtually constant communication
between cars and all sorts of things, feeding real time
information to and from your on board computers.

Particularly with the satnav.

Personally I think I want to find that antenna and
cut the wire or wrap the antenna in aluminum foil.

I don't, I find the satnav alone is very convenient.
I was doing a run into our state capital by car
with me supposed to catch the train back to
my home town and it was interesting to watch
google maps using the traffic data to update
the arrival time. It was spot on. The stupid
thing on the mate's Nokia was way out and
never got updated on the arrival time.

I don't even carry a phone.

Mad. We now coordinate the garage/yard sale run
on the phone, normally talking to each other for the
full couple of house between waiting for the first one
to open and the last one to finish and being able to
tell each other about extra ones that didn't bother
to advertise in the local paper for $40 and didn't
use facebook to advertise it, just put a sign on the
street power or light pole etc. I have my own local
facebook group where I post all the ads from the
local paper and the local buy sell swap groups
and where anyone can post their garage/yard sale
ad and update that as they open etc. The paper
discourages advertisers from including the
street number so they don't get people showing
up the day before while they are setting up etc.
So I add the street number when that becomes
obvious when it opens.

Google maps on the phone does a hell of a lot better
than the dedicated satnavs in the car etc do too,
particularly with the traffic information and where
a serious car crash has produced a traffic jam etc.

I don't use nav in the car either. I know where
I am going and if I don't I will look at a map.

Mad, satnav leaves maps for dead.

Kids there used to be these things called maps ;-)

I used them before satnavs showed up and satnavs leave them for dead.

I lived "connected" during pretty much all of my
working life (24/7) and now I like being off the grid.

Mad when out driving.

I don't want to be constantly available

Don't have to be and still use it for what it does best.

and I certainly don't need some woman
in my car telling me where to go.

Stupid to use a physical map now.

Maybe you just can't look at a map and remember where you are going.

Corse I can and did before satnavs showed up.

Around here I could draw a map.

Irrelevant to whats most useful in places you arent familiar with.

I worked 15 years on the road around
here and I know where things are.

Pity about where you havent done that.

I think we have become dumber as a society
because we depend too much on technology.

You're wrong about that too.

If you need a nav to find a place where you have the address, either
your addressing scheme is ****ed up or you don't understand it.

Or its much more convenient to say 'hey siri go to 24 Jones Ave' and
have it tell you every turn and route you around traffic congestion
than to fart around with a paper map, luddite dinosaur.

The reality is, I don't go that many places that I don't know how to
get to.

Even just 1 or two a year is worth doing the right way when its free,
luddite dinosaur.

Nothing is free.