Posted to sci.electronics.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default yes you can, kind of, was: Analog - Digital TV question

In writes:

* I noticed that at the very end of the VHF low, near Channel 6, I do
get a very weak signal of some sort. I suspect I'm picking up a little
FM radio, but it's too weak to really hear clearly.

Your radio will NOT work with any of the digital stations,
which is 99.999 or so percent of them.

However, there are a number of exceptions, namely
some low power stations that operated on "channel 6"
before the cutover, and remained in operation.

They're actually exploiting a loophole and are really
using that channel, NOT for the tv image, but because
the audio portion of channel 6 is at 87.7 Mhz.

That frequency is right at the edge of the FM
broadcast band. The older, "dial" type, radios
generally have enough slippage, so to speak, to
be able to pick them up. However, many of the
digital display/control ones have a "hard cut"
and won't go that low.

Typical example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNYZ-LP