Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Tip permit!

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 12/04/2019 09:24, NY wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
Both are of course only supposed to be used by residents of the
appropiate county. Stuff that, we live in Cumbria (just) but go to
Hexham (Northumberland) far more than anywhere else in Cumbria, guess
which HWRC we use...

We used to live near Malton, and the North Yorkshire tip in Malton and
the York City tip in Strensall were more or less equidistant so I used
both... until York started checking for ID and I was turned away because
I wasn't a resident of York City "county". As an aside, even many locals
cannot get their brains around the concept of York being in a county of
its own, and not being part of North, West or East Yorkshire or the three
Ridings that preceded those 1974 counties.

It is interesting how some tips have staff who are far more willing to
help unload cars than at other tips. When I used to live in Oxfordshire,
the staff, especially at Redbridge, wouldn't lift a finger to help, and
were there only to try to catch people out who were putting things in the
wrong skips (*). In North Yorkshire, Malton, Thornton-le-Dale and
Wombleton (**) usually leave people to manage on their own, though more
recently they are willing to help if you ask them. Leyburn, the nearest
tip to where we live at the moment, are very willing to help: sometimes
I've barely reversed up to the skips when the boot is opened and one of
the cheery staff is starting to empty my trugs of garden waste. On one
occasion I had to stop him from taking something that *I* knew was not to
be thrown away, but happened to be in the boot; I should have anticipated
what would happen and put in on the back seat instead...

(*) I once asked "Where do I put this?" and was greeted with a shrug and
a grunt, so I said "Thank you for being so helpful" and put it in the
most sensible one. At that point, he yelled at me for putting it in the
wrong one - he kept going on and on, repeating himself many times over. I
pointed out that I'd asked him and he hadn't deigned to give me a
sensible answer. "You should have known" was his answer.

The staff at one of our local tips are less than helpful too. The tip has
bays painted on the ground, at an angle. If it is busy (which it usually
is) and you have to reverse in with a trailer, the bay is not long enough.
At quieter times I can simply swing across a number of bays, pull forward
and stop with the car at the front of the bay and the trailer at a sharp
angle across the bottom of the bay and the one next to it.

One busy day, I had one have a right go at me for having my trailer stick
a couple of feet into the walkway, narrowing it to about 3 feet - he just
couldn't accept that if I'd stopped any further forward, no vehicle would
have been able to pass the front of my car and the whole place would have
simply locked solid and that I'd chosen the better of two options.

There's a reason that thats the best job he can manage.