Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody brisket ......

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Those that have come to this area have certainly come to work and do so.
The problem is their children also come and need school places and
people who have lived here all their lives find that they cannot get
their child in, because so many HMOs have been set up and are closer to
the school.

Love to know the figures on how many Europeans come here complete with
dependants. Most who come looking for casual work aren't going to bother.
More likely to send money home, where costs are lower. Or rather that
seems to be the norm in London.

I don't have those figures, but I do have the ones for the local school
by direct experience. 23 applicants and 26 places when our eldest son
started there; 54 applicants and 26 places when his brother was due to
start 3 years later. Over those three years a large number of big
Victorian terraces in the area, including a number directly opposite the
school were converted to flats/HMOs and the playground each morning
changed from almost entirely people who'd grown up in the area to being
around 30% full of (mainly) East Europeans. As we are 75 yards outside
the catchment area, we had four months of worry, study of the situation
and legal appeal to get him in - it being impossible for me to take or
collect either of them as my work started too early and ended too late;
while my wife could not get one to one school, one to another and the
third to nursery, get a six hour working day in and then pick them all
up, when two would finish at exactly the same time, but over a mile apart!

SteveW